Advice on Universal DVD Players (which is best for multichannel)

simonldt

Looking to possibly upgrade my Pioneer DV-585A.

I'm not fussed about video quality, my main concern is DVD-Audio and SACD (multichannel). I will be using it mainly for 5.1 hi-res audio. Amps I'm using are Marantz PM7001 (fronts) and Sony DA2400ES for the surrounds.

These are some I've looked at but just can't decide:

Marantz DV7600
Denon 2900, 2930, etc
Arcam 137, 139 (these are slightly out of my budget, but if they are significantly better for the price, I could definitely be persuaded)

Price range, anything between £100-£400 (new or used).

Are there any players that send full 6 channel via hdmi? Or are they all RCA?

Thanks,
Simon.

Migman

Looking to possibly upgrade my Pioneer DV-585A.

I'm not fussed about video quality, my main concern is DVD-Audio and SACD (multichannel). I will be using it mainly for 5.1 hi-res audio. Amps I'm using are Marantz PM7001 (fronts) and Sony DA2400ES for the surrounds.

These are some I've looked at but just can't decide:

Marantz DV7600
Denon 2900, 2930, etc
Arcam 137, 139 (these are slightly out of my budget, but if they are significantly better for the price, I could definitely be persuaded)

Price range, anything between £100-£400 (new or used).

Are there any players that send full 6 channel via hdmi? Or are they all RCA?

Thanks,
Simon.

My Oppo DV-980H sends SACD either DSD direct to the amp for decoding, or can convert to LPCM for the amps that don't support it.

simonldt

Looks great, cheers for the info.

I've now just spent some hours reading about multichannel over Analog vs HDMI and researching different players. It's confusing though... :p

I guess by going via HDMI from a player to an AVR you bypass the DAC's altogether? Or does one still need to pay a premium price for DAC's if going over HDMI?

My main aim is to play DVD-A and SACD (although mainly dvd-a). My Sony 2400es surprisingly DOESN'T support DSD over HDMI (even though it's Sony's thing!) but I'm not too fussed about that. I am mainly just looking for a player that will decode multichannel DVD-A from MLP into PCM and send it to the receiver. SACD will obviously go across decoded to PCM aswell.

Would the OPPO DV-981HD do it? Or is it too cheap of a player to do DVD-A decoding from MLP to PCM? From what I understand it's just unpacking the MLP so it shouldn't require too much? Or am I missing something?

Avi

Distinguished Member
Looks great, cheers for the info.

I've now just spent some hours reading about multichannel over Analog vs HDMI and researching different players. It's confusing though... :p

I guess by going via HDMI from a player to an AVR you bypass the DAC's altogether? Or does one still need to pay a premium price for DAC's if going over HDMI?

The player DAC doesn't factor in digital output i.e. HDMI, SPDIF from the player.

My main aim is to play DVD-A and SACD (although mainly dvd-a). My Sony 2400es surprisingly DOESN'T support DSD over HDMI (even though it's Sony's thing!) but I'm not too fussed about that. I am mainly just looking for a player that will decode multichannel DVD-A from MLP into PCM and send it to the receiver. SACD will obviously go across decoded to PCM aswell.

Would the OPPO DV-981HD do it? Or is it too cheap of a player to do DVD-A decoding from MLP to PCM? From what I understand it's just unpacking the MLP so it shouldn't require too much? Or am I missing something?

IIRC the Oppo 981 supports DVD-A. The Oppo 80/83 also provide a DSD option for SACD over HDMI.

Avi

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom