1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on TV purchase

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Oid, May 22, 2004.

1. Oid

Oid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi (again),

I'm looking to buy a new TV, and given the massive number of makes / models around, I was wondering if people could offer some advice on TV's to check out at my local shops.

I have a limited budget unfortunately, around 700 pounds (could stretch to 800). I'll be watching a 50/50 split of DVD's and TV (freeview)... My current DVD player isn't progressive/component, but I'll be upgrading it very soon to have this feature.

The spec's I'm interesting in are (I know I won't get everything, so I've put them in order of importance):

1. Picture quality
    2. I'd prefer at least 32 inches of picture goodness
    3. Good connectivity, a min of one RGB + one svideo scart, but I'd prefer two RGB + svideo. Oh I'd love component, heh, I know, no chance! :)

Things I don't want:

1. IDTV

Things I'm not fussed about:

1. Sound quality (I have home cinema setup)
    2. TV type, though I imagine only CRT are in my price range.
    3. Freq, I'd prefer 100hz, but only if the set does it well.

Any advice hugely appreciated!

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
  3. Oid

Oid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oo er misses, as they say... must admit I'd missed that set, I don't think my local shops have one unfortunately.

My only concern is, looking at it in the pictures, it will look a little odd sitting on my cabinet... with its legs, it looks like it is meant to really sit on a special stand.

4. Oid

Oid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse the followup to my own post:

I have been looking at:
    sony 32dx68 + fq70 (between 600-680, not bad tv's, no component tho)
    jvc dist (forget the model name, but was critised for being bad with non-dvd)
    the thompson mentioned above
    um...

I like the look of the philips sets, but in my price range they don't have enough connections... Would love a panasonic pd32, but thats a grand... As are the nice toshibas...

whelp!

:D

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I must admit I like the little legs but I can see your point its not conventional styling. Feature packed set though with great performance.

6. Oid

Oid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the thompson in my local Comet today, and even though it wasn't overly well setup, it looked lovely. They wanted 800 for it with the stand, perhaps a little pricey, but I'll go back tomorrow to look at it again.