Advice on turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by raven219, Jan 11, 2012.

1. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    East Anglia (well someone has to live there!)
    Ratings:
    +19
    Having recused my vinyl collection from my parents attic I am now in need of something to play it on. As I don't expect this will be primary source of music I don't want to spend a lot of money. My current setup is an Arcam AVR 200 connected to a pair of Kef XQ3's.

I have seen an AR EB 101 advertised for £80. Would this be a good turntable to start with? Presumably I would also need a phono stage. What would be a good budget one?

Cheers

Raven

2. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    In a word, yes. If it is in good condition that is.

AR made a few turntables that were basically the same, the AR turntable, EB101, Legend. They are suspended sub-chassis turntables quite similar to the Linn LP12 in configuration if not the quality and while they'll never worry the Linn they're still good record players. For £80, if it's in good condition with a serviceable arm (Usually a Linn Basik) it's a very good buy.