Question Advice on turntable, phono stage and int amp with Harbeth 30.1's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mikstarr, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Mikstarr

Mikstarr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I don't know the rules but I want to ask a question of someone knowledgeable on a turntable, phono stage and integrated amp (inc DAC) combo to purchase to go with my new 30.1's...

The listening room is about 12m by 6m with 13ft ceiling. Big.

I was thinking about a Roksan Blak, Pro-ject Essential III A and Arcam rPhono.

I've had a bit of a bum-steer from Doug Brady so am looking for some independent advice. I think they were pushing end-of-line stuff on me as I'm naive.

From the elements I've picked you can guess my price range but I can go higher..

Any guidance appreciated! :)

Mike.

2. Deleted member 781788

Deleted member 781788

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your question is about an integrated amp with a DAC and Phono stage, that would blow your sucks off in the price range of Roksan Blac , is
    Leema Pulsar IV
    Can handle MM and MC - has DSD capable DAC and bluetooth.
    80W which is plenty for your speakers.
    I have personally heard it at a show, and it was fab.
    I do own Leema DAC which I swear by.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,138
    Not really clear on what you are specifically looking for -

Can I assume -

- Amp/Receiver (with or without a Phono Stage)
    - Phono Stage (if not in the amp)
    - Turntable

new 30.1
    ... really you expect us to know every model number of every piece of equipment ever made?

new 30.1 ... WHAT? Brand and Model?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these might be your speakers -

Harbeth Monitor 30.1 Standmount Speakers - HiFi Corner

Then there is the one CRITICAL aspect that you left out - BUDGET?

How much money do you have to spend? Better to tell us than to leave us to guess.

Also, it seems you might be looking at a £3000 Amp but only a £250 turntable, that seems slightly out of balance. Can you explain those choices?

Roksan Blak Integrated Amplifier USB

Pro-Ject Essential III Phono Turntable - Superfi

Of course, you get to set your own priorities, but ...to me... that balance seems a bit off.

It seems that these would be a much better choice in a basic turntable -

Project Debut Carbon Turntable With Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge - Superfi

Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable - Superfi

And given my assumptions of your overall system, these would probably make more sense -

Project 1 Xpression Carbon Turntable with Ortofon 2M Silver Cartridge - Superfi

Project The Classic Turntable with Ortofon 2M Silver Stylus - Superfi

Pro-Ject 2 Xperience SB Sgt Pepper Limited Edition Turntable - Superfi

Project 6 Perspex Turntable - Superfi

I've limited this to PROJECT, but there are certainly other worthy turntables to consider.

There are many good amps to choose from, but an Amp is not an Amp. That is, each offers a different feature set, and each has different priorities.

Is there a certain amount of power you are looking for?

Do you need a built-in Phono Stage? If not, how much are you willing to spend on a Phono Pre-Amp? Seems odd to put a £500 Phono Stage on a £250 Turntable.

Do you want or need Tone Controls?

Do you want or need Digital Inputs? And for what purpose?

Do you have any interest in Network Streaming of Audio?

Are you limited to an Integrated Amp or would you consider a Pre-Amp/Power-Amp?

Rotel Stereo Preamplifier RC-1572 - Superfi

Rotel RB1582 Mkii 200w/ch Power Amplifer - Superfi

Parasound HALO P5 Preamplifier - Stone Audio

Parasound HALO A23 125w/ch Stereo Power Amplifier - Stone Audio

Parasound HALO A21 250w/ch Stereo Power Amplifier - Stone Audio

How will the system be used? Given the small speakers, I'm going to assume exclusively for Music.

What Source Devices (CD, Turntable, TV, other) will the system have?

Subwoofer - Yes or No?

The amp you choose will be based on what you need that amp to do. For use to help you find an amp, we also have to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Or ...at least... that's my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  4. rorackowe

rorackowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The Roksan amp does have mm phono built in. Given the company's history with vinyl, hopefully this would be reasonable quality. I agree with Steve, spend a little more on the turntable and forget the Arcam rPhono. That Project Classic is well specced and looks lovely!

You're at a budget where there's a LOT of choice; less if you're trying to keep it simple and keep the box count down (important for my WAF and children's grubby mitts).

You may find better sound from your vinyl by spending more on the turntable (for example Clearaudio concept with a decent cartridge) and less on the amp (e.g. Rotel RA1572). This would be especially the case of vinyl is your main source.

The designer at Harbeth seems to favour 100-200w amps for these speakers and the sensitivity is pretty low. Both the Rotel and Roksan should deliver enough grunt.

Another question is the room acoustially treated in any way? Less likely to be big standing waves in such a large room but you don't know how things will truly sound until the speakers are in place.