Answered Advice on Toshiba HD-EP30 HD-DVD Player audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JonnyTester, Aug 24, 2018.

1. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    I finally got around to picking up a proper hd-dvd player. It was getting too difficult to play discs on a pc, or Xbox 360. So I got a Tosh HD-EP30, which works great. But my Onkyo TX-NR656 AVR is detecting multichannel audio as PCM, regardless of whether HDMI audio output is set to Auto or PCM on the player. The player is still on the original firmware, v1.1.

Is this audio issue due to the firmware version? If I update the player to 1.3 upwards, will audio be properly decoded by my AVR?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by davemurgatroyd2, Aug 25, 2018 (1 points)
  3. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Best Answer
    Some of the earlier firmware versions did not decode some of the digital audio formats cured on later versions. The last version AFAIK was 4.0 (running OK on my EP30 players. There was also a firmware hack for multiregion (MR) DVD playback. IIRC version 4.0 can still be found on the Toshiba Canada website and I think I may still have a CD of the firmware hack for MR. IIRC the firmware update requires burning the download to CD as an ISO.

Further info can be found here HD DVD Master Firmware Burning Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I still have 2 Toshiba EP30s, a LG BH200 and a Samsung BD UP5000 combo Bluray/HD DVD players (US imports).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  4. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306

Many thanks for that. A lot of interesting reading on that thread. Looks like a lot of cd media/burning software problems as well. I can't remember the last time I even bought blank cdrs o_O. So its off to my local pound shop I go for a few. I'm not going to bother with the region free hack. I can play all my dvd's on my htpc. Its just a pity with all the hd-dvd discs purchased, format support was dropped like a hot brick.

5. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    I've just found an added bonus - I can now play all the dts audio cd's I collected back in the fledgling XBMC days of the original xbox. Something else I had to round the houses to do on my pc.

6. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    I've heard that its possible to cross flash the 30 to a 35. Have you heard of this?

7. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Yes. I did read about one forum member (here or AVS forum) who used the wrong multiregion DVD hack - the hack includes modified firmware and there were two versions one for the 30 and one for the 35. Apparently it still worked and had the 35's firmware features - I don't know the dofferences