Advice on the purchase of 42/46 lcd

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Shonte, Jan 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Shonte

Shonte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys,

I have searched through the forums, read magazines and online reviews and I still dont have a clue what kind of TV I should be looking for.

I will be sat around 4.2 metres from my set which I believe means I need a 42inch+ set. I think 46 would be perfect.

I don't want to spend more than 2k.

I will be using Sky HD and PS3 mainly.

Can anyone give me their opinion on what sets I should be looking at? I dont mind spending the cash on a very good set, I just cant work out which one is the best.

The Samsungs and Sony's seem very good as do the some of the Plasma sets.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. Lutz

Lutz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    IMO at 4.2m I'd be looking at a 50" set...
    I'm 3.2m away and I'm boarderline 42"-46"...

3. Shonte

Shonte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply Lutz. I have read differing opinions on that. What Hifi magazine reckons that a 42 is fine at 4m. I was thinking that 46 would cover it as 50 inch sets just look massive in the shops. I'd get a 50 inch if that what I need, I just dont want to go OTT and end up having something that looks hideous.

4. SuperSquash

SuperSquash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    There are many calculators on the 'net that will give you a different recommended size depending on what you're watching.

The thing that I think puts people off, is that they go into Comet/Currys and the like and stand 2 feet away from 37" + TV's. Unless said TV's are showing HD material (which in Comet/Currys is highly unlikely), then the picture will look atrocious anyway. You can even pick faults in HD material at that distance - which I'm sure a lot do. Standing at that distance also makes the TV itself look massive. I do agree it's hard to visualise what it will look like in your own house.

I would definately recommend thinking long and hard about what size you want based on what material you intend to feed it, because I was happy with my 32" until I go into HD-DVD, now I want a bigger 1080p screen!

5. Shonte

Shonte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, lets say I decide on a 50 inch. There are so many out there with differing reviews from site to site. I want one that will be great for movies, sport and gaming. I am willing to pay for it. Can anyone reccomend me a really good 50 inch set?

6. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision magazine has a review of 50 inch HD TVs this month. Might be worth your while picking it up? :)

7. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Something else that may sway your decision, Sharp are giving a free Blu-Ray player away with their 46 and 52" models...

Good review on * too.

8. Shonte

Shonte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have this months What Hi-Fi. The review a few sets and a couple of them look good. Was just wondering what people on here knowledge and experience's are.

Thanks for all the replys so far guys.

9. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    I'm looking at 46" for my room and I'll only be 2.5m-3.0m away. Even in the shops with rubbish source, the HD looks fine for me at that distance. Freeview will not look great, but I am going on freesatHD to get the "main" channels on HD, so am not worried. :)

At 4.2m I'd definitely have a 52", but everyones eyes are different :rolleyes:

For around £2K I'd be looking at the Sony KDL52W3000 at £1900 and Samsung LE52F96 at £2,200. The flagship Sony KDL52X3500 is out of your range at £2,700.

Hope that helps.

10. Shonte

Shonte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers Eddie, I'll take a look at those sets. :)

I think I am starting to sway to 50". All the advice and calculaters are saying 50+.

11. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    No problem, it's a mine-field, but reading the threads here definitely helps (it also helps put you off buying a TV at all :)

From memory I think the KDL52W3000 has just won the current WhatHiFi magazine review, but it wasn't up against the Samsung F96 (they used a Samsung plasma). Personally I would struggle to decide between these two.

I got the prices from http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/ which others have used in these forums.