Advice on the Holy Grail - a decent set up for 5.1 surround and stereo music

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Monolith subs look good, but they don’t have a high level input. For a music oriented system, I think I’d want to have that option. Helps to blend sub and main speakers.

Great suggestions on this thread!

Makes no difference. If your pre/integrated has low level it's the same signal.

ashenfie

A lot of this is personal taste. While q acoustics get very good reviews I can’t say the do with me. They to me have a little warm ness that’s seam compared to my kef speakers. Maybe the diamonds would be a better choice.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
A lot of this is personal taste. While q acoustics get very good reviews I can’t say the do with me. They to me have a little warm ness that’s seam compared to my kef speakers. Maybe the diamonds would be a better choice.

For the price I think they're fine speakers, can't complain I think £135 for my 3010i Atmos heights but I'm able to listen to them as stereo speakers,.multi channel mode, with only that two channel amp on.

For mains I'd probably go for the bigger 3020i/3030i

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I'd say just a good avr for now, put it all together, get a good sub, enjoy it, then look into a stereo integrated amp later.

Will allow you notice what difference there is.

You need to demo a few brands off the top of my head, a-z, so what do you chose? And plenty of brands missing in that list

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

I'd have honestly just gone for those second hand KEF R speakers on classfiields.

As someone new to home AV, i get its scary going second hand but ultimately the increase in quality going from the budget (but still expensive) entry level offerings is inane to to the 30-50% savings you get buying used for a much much higher quality, well built speaker.

I'd actually choose two good towers over a cheap 5 surround speaker setup any day. I remember even when I went from my old speaks to my Arendal, I felt I'd rather have had just the towers than what I had before.

velcrocow

Standard Member
Thanks all, just an update to say that hopefully I'll be able to demo some options in the next couple of weeks and I'll report back my findings. Due to budget constraints, I may get the 2 floorstanders plus the Audiolab amp and Marantz cd6007 for now, then get the Av and remaining speakers & sub later. I was hoping if I got the whole lot at the same time I might be able to get a decent discount, but that may not be the case. Will report back, and thanks to all for such thoughtful advice.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Think it depends on budget getting this new full price not too much of outlay for first system

Also I think this hobby is about upgrading , would be boring having end game system as first system. Also add bits as you go along rather than get everything at once

Try other avr and atereoy amps out also

I agree about getting second hand

Is sti get the AVR for now get a stereo amp later.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom