1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on telephone sockets and broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by markyboy, Dec 7, 2004.

1. markyboy

markyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to install a basic telephone socket extension (as my main telephone socket is in the hallway and my PC (eventually) will go int the livingroom, which is about 10 metres away. I plan to run a 25 metre extension out through the external wall (as I have already laid my hallway floor and so can't install the flat telephone cable under the floor - and don't want to drill holes through doorframes) by my main socket and round the outside of the house coming in through the external wall to my living room and to my pc. I seem to remember people explaining how to install the broadband filter!!!! somewhere. But where would I put my filter ?? Would it be on the end of the extension or in between the main socket and the extension ??

Also I plan to have an inline second socket next to the extention socket in the living room for the telephone. Would this arrangement work ??

2. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +561
    You're ADSL Filter(s) will need to isolate any phones you have from the ADSL signal

This is usually tidiest and easiest, between the phone and its nearest socket.

If you place it between the main/master socket and the extension, it will look untidy.

You do not need an ADSL filter between your PC and its phone socket as well i.e. no phones = no filters.

If you have a phone next to your PC, you can plug your phone into the filter, like normal, but also plug your PC into the filter as well (seeing how you will only probably have one phone socket to use there). You don't need seperate sockets for phone and PC usage.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If you already have multiple phone extensions then you will need a filter at each extension.
    If you plug a filter into the master socket and then the extension into that then you will be unable to use that extension with a phone. Therefore your best bet is to plug the filter into the end of the extension beside the PC, and then as stated above you can also plug a phone into that filter.

Mark.

4. markyboy

markyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MarkE19.

Yes, I will have the phone in the living room next to the PC, so as the telephone socket will only be an extension to the main one in the hall, I don't need to bother havign splitters etc... and so will plug the ADSL filter in then the phone in the filter with the PC modem cable.

I seem to remember seeing these filters as short 10cm wires which plug into the phone socket and have a LARGEish.. socket at the other for the telephone/PC modem.

5. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If you want something very neat and tidy and don't mind paying a bit more then you can always get a BT extension socket with an integrated filter to go in the lounge. Something like this

You'd need the LJ4 model which has a filtered socket for the phone and an unfiltered RJ11 socket for your ADSL modem/router.

ADSLNation do something similar.

6. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i could always send you a proper extension socket if that would make it look better for you, i have a few around i think, and i could tell you how to wire the thing up too.
    but you will need to use the filter in the socket though.
    let me know if this would help
    :)