1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on surround system gratefully received.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mutt Lee, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Mutt Lee

Mutt Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - I've been ploughing through the forums looking for suggestions, but I have a slightly different priority to most of the home cinema advice as I'm more after great performance on the music end, the home cinema aspect would be a bonus. Have visited a few retailers, but the level of advice is far more coherant on this forum, so would really appreciate help on the following...

I want to buy...
    DVD player (which needs to be be the primary CD source also)
    amp
    surround speakers (I have various speakers I could substitute for the front pair, inc much-loved yamaha ns-10s or eltax symphony 4.2s or c-205s)
    all cables, stands etc

Priorities are :
    1. Must play sacd, dvd-a (as I love well mixed surround sound) and be reliable on cdrs, as I'm involved in music and will use this system for monitoring material as its created. T
    2. Budget is about £800, but could go a bit higher if there's an ideal system.
    3. Capability for any future formats would be useful - I'd like to not have to upgrade for a good few years.
    4. a phono input for my technics deck would be useful but not essential (although i suppose I could use an old amp's line out for this.)

other info :
    TV is a sony KV-32LS35U.
    listening area is about 15' square.

Many thanks

2. handyandy

handyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered if you had considered an all in one system? Have a look at the high end Sony DAV systems. I have been using one for a while now and it is the bees knees! It looks and sounds great and plays SACD's too. Mine has been superseeded by the DAV-SB300 which is only £260 online , but even the SC8 can be had for £400.

I know there are other similar systems available but I can only confirm that the Sony's will play SACD's.

3. Mutt Lee

Mutt Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have had a look at these, and i could be wrong, but I think because sony are pushing sacd, their players don't support dvd-a which will restrict choice of music available. I've listened to a couple of sacd albums actually being mixed in the studio (which is where I fell in love with the results) but the marketing of these formats is pretty confusing and the manufacturers seem to breeze over only one or the other being available. Hardware reviews tend to focus on the home cinema aspect, rather than the music surround capabilities, hence my confusion!

4. handyandy

handyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you are right that the DAV's don't play DVD-a. Seems to be a bit of a format war going on at the moment. I don't think I know of any player that plays both formats? I have never heard a DVD-a, but love the sound of SACD - it has been a long time coming. Do you have a preference of one format over the other?

5. Mutt Lee

Mutt Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no preference, just wanna have access to as much content as possible, being that both formats are limited.

from what I've read over the last week, this is what I'm considering....
    player : pioneer dv565a - £150
    amp : marantz sr7400 - £400
    these both have good reviews and seem to have lots of flexibility.

Does anyone have this combination?
    I'm stuck on the surround speakers though, about £250 left to spend - on with the research I suppose...