Question Advice on surround speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MacReady, Jul 23, 2018.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    About to upgrade my living room system but could do with some advice please on rear speaker placement.

At the moment I have Monitor Audio BR1's and a BRLCR at the front and then Monitor Audio Radius 1's at the back.
    I will shortly be buying Kef Q series speakers to replace the front (Q750, Q650C and Q50A Atmos speakers) and would like to replace the Radius speakers with Kef T101's as I have read they are a good match for the Q series tonally and, if I get the white ones, will blend in nicely at the back of the room and be even less intrusive that the Radius cubes.

The room is not an ideal shape though. At the moment, the perfect viewing seat is the right hand side of the sofa between the surround speakers in the picture below as that lines up with the centre of the TV and the front speakers...but it is not the centre of the rear speakers.

I feel I could probably put the new rears in a better position but am not sure if they would sound ok mounted in up high to the sides, up on the ceiling against the back wall or lower down on the wall behind the main seating position.

Would welcome any thoughts, suggestions, pros'/cons on this please.

fullsizeoutput_169f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_169d.jpeg

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    With an Atmos system you want the surrounds (rears) to be at head height when seated so that there is a vertical difference in height between them and the Atmos speakers. Hence if you are moving to an Atmos system you really want to get them lower and not higher on the wall. So I would probably go for position 3 each side but lower on the wall.

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    So similar height to the current Radius rears or even lower? Just wondered if that would sound right with them being pretty flat speakers and firing straight forward from that position?

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    I would say a little lower. Look up recommended speaker positions for Atmos systems and you will get a better idea. Given the limited space you have to the side and rear of the sofa then you are going to have some sort of compromise in the surround sound effect especially if moving to Atmos.

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    No, it's definitely not the best layout of room for this and would not be my first choice for a Home Cinema set up.
    The kit I have at the moment was to be a 'make do' set up for a while as I was going to convert the garage into a proper cinema room with 5.2.4 and 4k projector etc. However, due to gardening work taking up more cash than expected and then us being broken into a few weeks ago, meaning we are now spending loads on extra security, the garage conversion has disappeared into the far future....so an upgrade to the living room set up is going to be as good as it gets for a few Years.

I suppose the good thing about putting the T101's on the Rea walls just above the height of the sofa, is that I won't have as far to chase the cables into the walls :smashin::rotfl:

6. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
  7. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks Navvie.

Had a good read of that doc last night and it was very helpful.....also a bit frustrating as it just highlighted, even more, how awkward a room ours is to try and get this right.

I think I am going to mount the T101's, as PSM1 says, a little lower than the current MA Radius rears. the one on the left of the picture will be in a pretty similar position on the back wall (but lower) whilst I am going to mount the other one on the other side of the double door rather than straight above the right hand side of the sofa.

Again, this is still not ideal as the perfect place to mount the rear left is straight in the middle of the double doors and then to move the sofa out into the middle of the two rear speakers so it is also central to the TV:facepalm: But I will have to do the best with what I have I suppose....after all, I don't think my other half would appreciate being told I have blocked the living room doors so we have to climb in through the window from now on:rotfl:

8. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Glad you found it useful. Page 8 and 9 of that PDF are more useful than all the diagrams on Dolby's website IMO.

I think few non-dedicated rooms are ideal. My own problem was trying to adhere to the recommended angles while keeping to the room width. I decided to go with the angles and will add some DIY absorbers to try and deal with first reflections later in the year.