Advice on Surround Sound Setup

Sergius18

Hi All,

I got a B&W 7.1 setup in my new house. Speakers are CWM7.4S2 (center), 2x CCM7.5S2 (In-Ceiling), 2x CCM382 (In-ceiling), 2x CWM664 (rear side).

Planning to buy LG HU810PW projector uless Epson comes up with something very nice.

My primary use case os watching sport and movies. I am a regular joe user. 100 inch screen

Please advise -
  1. A good subwoofer. My theater room is small (~150 sq ft). Which one must I choose REL T/5x or REL HT/1003?
  2. A good enough receiver - Is Denon AVRX2700 good? Or can I consider a cheaper option?
Thanks for all the help!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
X3700H would be more ideal receiver with those speakers. Alternative options Onkyo TX-NR7100, RZ-50 and Yamaha RX-A4A.

LG looks good with few negatives.

Those two REL subwoofers shouldn´t be on your list, they are not suited for dedicated cinema use and they are overpriced compared to others. There is better options for similar prices. Try at least to get SVS SB1000 Pro, preferably SB2000 Pro if you require compact sealed subwoofer. Don´t be afraid buying more bit more woofer than you think you need. You are in full control of how loud the woofer plays. SVS is most known subwoofer manufacturer, US company and you get all the great benefits as you live in US. Notice the prices will be raised October 4 so you need to make the order soon. Shipping costs has been changed so much that manufacturers have to raise the prices.

Read this page what you get with SVS product:

Sergius18

X3700H would be more ideal receiver with those speakers. Alternative options Onkyo TX-NR7100, RZ-50 and Yamaha RX-A4A.

LG looks good with few negatives.

Those two REL subwoofers shouldn´t be on your list, they are not suited for dedicated cinema use and they are overpriced compared to others. There is better options for similar prices. Try at least to get SVS SB1000 Pro, preferably SB2000 Pro if you require compact sealed subwoofer. Don´t be afraid buying more bit more woofer than you think you need. You are in full control of how loud the woofer plays. SVS is most known subwoofer manufacturer, US company and you get all the great benefits as you live in US. Notice the prices will be raised October 4 so you need to make the order soon. Shipping costs has been changed so much that manufacturers have to raise the prices.

Read this page what you get with SVS product:

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it!

Which receiver is more future proof? Is SVS better known rand than REL?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it!

Which receiver is more future proof? Is SVS better known rand than REL?
Both have the new HDMI 2.1 connections, Onkyo has Dirac Live room correction which is the big selling factor. However it ain´t as easy to optimize fully as Denons Audussey.

There is no reason you to buy REL there in US. For same price the SB1000 Pro offers lot more performance wise and also phone app control. Warranty and the bills of rights are quite amazing, only for US customers.

What is your max budget for the sub and are you limited to SB1000 Pro size?

Sergius18

Both have the new HDMI 2.1 connections, Onkyo has Dirac Live room correction which is the big selling factor. However it ain´t as easy to optimize fully as Denons Audussey.

There is no reason you to buy REL there in US. For same price the SB1000 Pro offers lot more performance wise and also phone app control. Warranty and the bills of rights are quite amazing, only for US customers.

What is your max budget for the sub and are you limited to SB1000 Pro size?

The room is between 100-150 sq ft so I was thinking of a 8" subwoofer. I would love to buy US made product so I think SB1000 fits the bill nicely. I was looking at either REL HT/1003 ($599) or T/5x ($629).

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
I’d definitely go with an SVS sub, they’re very powerful and you get a superb warranty with them. I’ve got an SVS PB1000 Pro and it’s marvellous! Quite big though so as suggested above try and go for the SB1000 Pro.

I’d be quick though, the prices are going up imminently.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The room is between 100-150 sq ft so I was thinking of a 8" subwoofer. I would love to buy US made product so I think SB1000 fits the bill nicely. I was looking at either REL HT/1003 ($599) or T/5x ($629).
Neither brand SVS or REL is made in US, designed in US yes but most subwoofers are built in China factories these days. It shouldn`t be issue for you though.

Forget the 8" hifi subs if your main use is movies. The sub rolls off close to 40hz and you will miss lot of stuff in movies. Why would you pay more and get less? With SVS you get 12" driver and 2,5x more power in compact sized cabinet. They have also tweaked the subwoofers roll off slope so it doesn´t drop like REL very steeply. With room gain in small room you are going to get deeper extension which is important for action/scifi/horror flicks.

Seriously forget the RELs as there is no need to pay such prices for them and get less! REL warranty 3years, SVS 5years and look the link i posted. You also have 45day buy&try with free shipping both ways. The subwoofer won`t overpower your system as you are in full control how loud it plays. You would be amazed what type of large sealed subs people have in similar sized rooms. Trust us on this and pick the SVS over those others mentioned.

Sergius18

Thanks I will go for SVS. Last question, is the $300 difference between SB 2000 ($799) and SB 1000 ($499) worth it? I am not an audiophile but don't mind spending $300 more if the movie experience would be considerably better.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks I will go for SVS. Last question, is the $300 difference between SB 2000 ($799) and SB 1000 ($499) worth it? I am not an audiophile but don't mind spending $300 more if the movie experience would be considerably better.

When it comes to subwoofers there is this old saying; buy the best you can afford. You can always turn down the larger/better performing one, but you can`t get more from the smaller one. How often you see threads "i bought too powerfull subs, i need to downgrade"? Yep, you won`t as it`s very much the opposite people looking upgrading quite fast if they have settled on something lesser cause they fear it´s too much or something similar nonsense! Ed Mullen from SVS (technical director) has said the SB2000 Pro is noticeble step up in the 18-36hz region which is the important region for blockbuster movies. The 2000 isn`t that much bigger, nor isn`t the SB3000 either. You don´t have to worry about the sub being too much. Powerfull sealed sub is usually ideal for small room like yours and if you get Denon X3700H it will flatten the room response so the sub will end up sounding great! It´s very common to see 2x 15" sealed subs in dedicated rooms for US guys. Some bassheads have even more.

Only thing speaking for the cheaper sub at this point would be that you would add second identical sub later. However you can do the same with SB2000 Pro, but if you would feel it`s cheaper to do with 1000 Pro due to price raises. Why would you be adding 2nd sub? Read the below short article and/or watch the clip. Why most people have dual subwoofers in their system, this article answers that.

SVS outlet has few options:

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 13-08-48 SVS SB-2000Pro Subwoofer (Piano Gloss White, Piece) Lazada S...png

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom