1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on suitability of projectors & budget.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by halo1234, Jul 8, 2005.

1. halo1234

halo1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both my girlfriend & I are big into watching films at home. We have a very good DVD & sound system & currently a 32'' Panasonic, which for the price is great. Were now renovating a house to move into, so absolutely everything is new. We have a lounge that’s 17ft wide by 12ft long. I want a new TV, but now I've started to research into things, a projector could be the way to go & may even save me money?

My budget is around £2k for the projector, leads & screen. (Happy to pay less)
    It will be used for mainly films, sports & possibly gaming.
    It needs to be viewable in day light, but not perfect.

Where should I buy, how should I fit it, and what should I buy?

thanks

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    There are many things to look at when considering an install. first draw up a shortlist of likely PJs within your price bracket, then ask yourself DLP or LCD some people are suseptible to the rainbow effect of DLPs. you will probably have to arrange a demo at a local dealers using both systems to see if you like either one. Some of the latest PJs from panasonic come close to the image quality of DLP and are reasonabley bright enough. you need around 1000lumens in a reasonably darkend room, and look for contrast ratios of at least 1500. this range covers the majority of newish PJs you will also need where you are to place it within your room. you should be able to get a screen of around 6 to 7ft in a room that size.

3. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need about 300-400 lumens in theater mode in resonably dark room. Any more than that and you cant watch it because picture gets too bright. Many ppl use ND filters with DLP to cut light output.

4. Steve Middleton

Steve Middleton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I happen to have an almost new Sharp XV90E LCD projector. It is exactly the same as an XV91E but without the short throw lense which you can purchase. Have a look at the specs, it isn't the highest of spec but I have it in quite a small lounge and it has a screen size of at least 45"+. I bought it only a couple of months ago and use it only for movies. I am now leaving the country in a month and will let it go for £300.

It comes with all cables, remote, instruction manual and even the box. The XV91 is the current version but I bought it as an end of line as I work for Sharp, hence the price being so cheap. Really is a good buy.

Drop us a line if you want a demo. 07709 334 223

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    You won't go far wrong with a Sim2 Domino 20! Mine is for sale on ebay right now with a 'buy it now' price a little below your budget as well!

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I thought that model was a DLP machine.

Good price though. Good luck with the sale.

I've also got a machine that i'm selling. It's the BenQ PB6100 DLP projector and it's only 7 months old. It's got a long throw lens and i'm selling it for 350 which is more then the Sharp but obviously it's got a higher spec.

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    If you're referring to the Sim2 then yes it is a DLP! I'm pretty sure all Sim2 pj's are DLP.

8. therealijn

therealijn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In plain speak I'd say before you start you need to make sure you can get a pretty dark room. The darker the better really. You're budget is favourable and when I was in your exact same position around year ago I went for a Sanyo Z2 (£880 fron Nex Nix at that time). I love my projector. You'll get the Z3 (Z2 successor) for around £1000 right now. I had no idea what size of screen I'd need so I built my own with a view to screen testing different image sizes. Quite ashamed to admit I never did by a 'proper' screen, but I'm happy with the 100 inch diagonal screen that cost me around £25 (thank you B&Q and Roseby's). Projector is around 3 metres from screen. This is something you'll need to be careful of. It might not look so good if the optimum projector to screen distance means your projector has to go slap bang in the middle of the ceiling in the lounge (or the living room if your like me from Scotland). Just common sense at the end of the day.

Nex Nix will do a stick pixel check which is a must for an LCD projector. Other than that - go for it. I've used this forum for a year or so and there are heaps of knowledgeable people here. They won't let you down.

Good Luck.

9. halo1234

halo1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

10. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
  11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's well worth doing some research on "projector throw" before purchasing, because it's easy to get it wrong, and find that the pj can't project an image to fit the screen from your chosen distance.