1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on sub position please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MarkTy, Jun 16, 2005.

1. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I get away with putting my sub behind me in a 6.1 set up....probbaly below the central rear speaker.

I think i read somewhere that it should really be in front of you.

Background
    The room doubles as a family room.....so I can't just plonk the sub wherever I want...and th best position...out of the way of grubby little hands....is in the position above.

Thanks all

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    In theory, it shouldnt be a problem, but usually is! Firstly, the position may not be the optimum for the room anyway, as in some places you may hear no bass at all (ive been there - i felt like i might as well of eaten the money i spent). Secondly, if its close to your sofa, you may well be able to feel it, meaning you can tell where it is, and this does detract from viewing pleasure. it was discussed pretty in depth quite recently, will chuck a link your way.

PS the theory side is that bass waves are non directional, and so it can be placed anyway, but there are many other factors.

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    In theory placing a subwoofer behind you introduces a whole range of frequency-dependant phase problems with your front speakers. But since you really don't have any choice in the matter just make the most of it. Far better to be able to play with your toys than not at all. Only you can tell whether it works there or not. And if it doesn't? You just wait until the grubby little fingers are old enough to learn whose toys are whose. :nono:

Regards
    Nimby