Advice on stereo upgrade

shagel

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking for some advice on what to buy to fill my needs and wants. My hi-fi knowledge is... not good. Here's what I'm using now;

Chromecast audio
Rotel rc970bx pre amp
Rotel rb980bx amp
Dali 18 mk2 tower speakers

Right now I just stream music to the CCA, that's it. I want to get some new better stuff that sounds better and integrates better with my tv and xbox. The biggest gripes I have with my currest setup sound wise is I have to turn the volume up pretty high for the sound to open up, otherwise it's just mids. The speakers are also pretty banged up and are probably in need of restoration. Secondly, it's not connected to my tv so I watch movies and play xbox with the crappy tv speakers.

I'm thinking of switching the Dali's to some decent bookshelfs (something like Elac Debut reference 6.2, Klipsch rp600mii or similar in that price range. Will listen to them and choose the ones I like the best) and pair it up with a sub (SVS SB-1000 maybe). This is not really a problem, I'll just buy whatever sound good to me, bring it home and try it out.

The amp side however is where I'm struggling. I've been looking a lot at dsp and Dirac and I want it. The way I understand, if I want Dirac and dsp (without spending obscene amounts of money) I have a couple of options.

1. Keep the pre amp and amp and add a minidsp 2x4hd with a Dirac license. With the measurement mic that adds up to about 600 dollars where I'm at. And then I don't know how to set that up, if I can get the tv and xbox plugged in somehow. Plus I don't get a remote.

2. Buy a minidsp pre amp, either the SHD or the Flex. The SHD is 1700 dollars with a mic and access to Dirac (I think? No additional charge, right?) The Flex is 600 dollars + 200 for the Dirac license and another 100 for the UMIK-1. It is available with different i/o layouts and I think it would fit in with what I want, not sure though.

3. Buy another pre amp with Dirac. NAD and Arcam have some but they're pricey.

4. Buy an av receiver with Dirac Live. The pioneer lx305 have Dirac live and have gotten good reviews. I can get it for about 1000 dollars if I import it, if not, not sure how that affects warranty, it costs 1400 dollars here.

Any good advice? Thanks for helping out!

Last edited:
All good ideas. Especially Dirac. It is well worth twice whatever you pay for it. Room correction is a boon for anyone serious about music.

But I’d start with speakers first.

The Dalis are getting old and are probably quite tired.

You don’t say how big or small your room is?

That often dictates speaker choice, although much less so with Dirac or equally good room correction.

PS, I’d also consider an Anthem MRX. ARC Genesis is quite easily comparable to Dirac.

And they are usually quite inexpensive for the 10 series (MRX310, MRX510 and MRX710) and all are quite powerful enough for any speakers you are likely to own.

They also benefit from being able to integtprtae a sub (or two) quite excellently using ARC.

Both the amps you mention are preamps from what I can gather. I presume an error.

Thanks for replying! You're correct Flobs, it's supposed to say rb980bx as an amp.

My room is 13x13 feet. Haven't looked at Anthem receivers but will check them out, thanks!

Thanks for replying! You're correct Flobs, it's supposed to say rb980bx as an amp.

My room is 13x13 feet. Haven't looked at Anthem receivers but will check them out, thanks!
+1 on the Anthem. I have an MRX300 in my AV setup and the audio quality is top rate, with flexible DSP modes and straight through audio available. It's easily as good as my dedicated amps. So much that it's what I use for my turntable as well.

I'm thinking of switching the Dali's to some decent bookshelfs (something like Elac Debut reference 6.2, Klipsch rp600mii or similar in that price range. Will listen to them and choose the ones I like the best) and pair it up with a sub (SVS SB-1000 maybe). This is not really a problem, I'll just buy whatever sound good to me, bring it home and try it out.

Hi. If there's a lot of TV and gaming, as well as music, smaller bookshelf speakers + a sub is definitely the way to go. As well as massively improving the game, movie and TV experience, a well integrated sub will help fill out the sound when you're playing tunes at lower volumes.

Hmm.

If you can manage the budget get the SHD, new pair of speakers and at least one sub. Will allow you to feed the TV in and stream.

Sell CC & the preamp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom