1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice On Spending My Money

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by eyewannaplasma, Dec 2, 2003.

1. eyewannaplasma

eyewannaplasma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a new member to this forum i am amazed at how little i really know about what I am spending my money on!! For starters all my AV stuff is Sony due to previously respecting the brand name (ie before reading these forums)

We have recently moved house and our Sony 32FX65U is taking up far too much of our living room and so we are contemplating splashing out £3000-4000 on a s****y new 40" Plasma screen to hang on the wall. NB the price should include 5 yr warranty.

We also have a Sony DAVs 800 and Pace NTL cable box that we intend keeping. We know now that separates would have been far better quality for the money but thats history - and to be honest like the look of only the one box especially if we end up with another reciever box.

So in anticipation of lots of humerous coments about my gear - what you do with the money???

:lesson: :confused: :rolleyes: :clown:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Burn the DAVS, it has insufficient video performance for a plasma. Spend 3k on the plasma, forget the warranty unless you MUST get a PD3000 from John Lewis, theyre pretty reliable. The rest of your budget can be spent on a decent dvd, surround amp and speaker pack, should sound good for 1k. My choice, Panny PW6, Yam 540 amp, Yam 540DVD, mission NXT speakers, assuming you want something that looks good like the DAVS. DVD via component, NTL via RGB scart, and audio out from 2nd scart, that'll get you rocking and rolling till you want to get tricky, and upgrade with a component converter and scaler.

3. eyewannaplasma

eyewannaplasma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow swift response MAW thanks. Will go and check out the prices/looks of your reccomendation.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't let that be set in stone, just some ideas to set you going.

5. eyewannaplasma

eyewannaplasma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wont be set in stone - but as you say it is a start.

I would still value anybody elses opinions on what to do with the money.

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you want to keep the WAF (wife acceptance factor) then a Panny 6 combined with the Jamo DV50 / A325 package would look and sound good. The Jamo offers PAL & NTSC progressive scan DVD a HC receiver plus a nice 'danish, B&O' styled speaker package

http://www.av-sales.com/html/jamo_dvr-50___a325.html