Advice on Speaker Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by TEROKNOR, Jan 11, 2008.

1. TEROKNOR

TEROKNOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am looking at this Panasonic SC-PT850EB-K or SC-PT550EB-K and was wondering how either of these would be setup in my lounge. I have attached a rough plan.

I was think that the SC-PT550EB-K would be better as they have rear satellite speakers and as the plan suggest there is hardly any room to put the floor standing ones

Also what would be the best sub woofer location.

Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. TEROKNOR

TEROKNOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    anyone???

:lease:

3. TEROKNOR

TEROKNOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Serioulsy! What wrong with this? Or can nobody help??

4. TEROKNOR

TEROKNOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    This is really a poor response. I can't believe that no one can answer this for me. Yet I have seen other threads with the same qustion and they get responded too.

Are there Mods here or even experts??

5. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Not sure on the kit you are thinking off but I would say to place the centre under the TV, the fronts a little way either side of the TV. The rears, it looks like you are a little tight for space, so I would say position them up high either side of your main viewing position. Hopefully they wont foul the opening doors. As for the sub, well low bass isnt really directional, so you can position it anywhere convenient.

You can find out some typical setup info here: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout2.html

Hopefully that gives you an idea, well at least its one reply :D

6. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hm Tricky space.

Given the room layout put speakers on the wall behind you. You'll need to calibrate the sound down because they will be right next to your lug holes. The sub could go at the front somewhere, there isn't much space. The good thing about LFE is that it's flexible as to where you put the box, it's essentially non-directional.

So, sats at the back on the wall is my view.
    Regards,
    TT

7. TEROKNOR

TEROKNOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks guys.
    The room isn't that bad for space for the sub and front speakers, it was mainly th rears I'm having an issue with but if the rears can be calibrated to "shift" the sound downwards that would be helpful.

8. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I dont think you can really calibrate to shift the rears down as such. The ony things you can normally set on an amp is the relative sound output (volume level) the size of the speakers and the distance from your ears to the speakers (delay). So you should be able to get the sound volume correct in relation to the centre and fronts. You should also be able to get the timing correct again in relation to the other speakers.
    If you mount the rears above your ear level then to a certain degree your ears will always hear rear sounds coming from above your head.

I think Ballistix999 meant that you could position your rears at ear level mounted on the wall/stands behind the sofa as far apart as possible. So basically moving your sofa forward a little.

As your rears are a bit difficult to get in an ideal position it might be worth getting some temporary cable (cheap bell wire would work) that is long enough to try different positions and then adjust your amp appropriately and let your ears/aesthetics decide. You might even find that you can mount the rears in front of your sofa on the extreme right and left avoiding the door ways.

9. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    If you get Bi-polar speakers that'll help for sure!