Advice on speaker positions...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cerebros, May 16, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    First off, moderators, please feel free to move to another forum if you feel appropriate (although maybe it's time for a room layout forum?)

Finally been told by the estate agent that my gf and I have had our application approved for the house we want to rent.

Unfortuantely i now face the thorny problem of how to layout my home cinema gear in our new lounge, something that's not particularly helped by the room layout, as seen below (see my signature for component types):

[​IMG]

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    In addition to the awkward layout, the room also has laminate wood floors, which means I'm going to have to find something to go under the spikes of my front speakers, the 704's, and I'm worried that laminate floors might screw the sound (I'm sure I've read somewhere that laminate is bad for the sound). The 702 rears will have to go on stands (and recommendations there?).

At present we don't have any furniture (hence no dimensions) but it's pretty certain we'll be adding a three-piece suite (1x 3 seater sofa and 2 single seater chairs).

Also at present we don't have the main TV set... That's going to have to wait until funds become available. What is certain is that we won't be buying a set with stand (or at least not out of preference) as I want a proper AV stand that can handle my centre speaker, amp, DVD player, MD deck, VCR I have now, plus STB and a couple other typical hi-fi seperate size bits and pieces. Will be looking for centre speaker to sit in AV unit rather than on top of TV (since some of the sets I've vaguely considered would be unsuitable for this)

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    So to cut the story short, I'd like some advice on what the best layout is likely to be

4. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Cerebros, sorry mate don't have any bright ideas about your problem, but there is an excellent piece of software that I used to plan out my room.

I don't know how to link to other threads but do a search for "room arranger", there's a link to the software in there, it's excellent for......erm.......arranging a room! (it's hosted by Shoka)

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's not an av friendly room:(
    For the spikes, I've heard of some people using 2p coins....

I had laminate at my old place - try a rug at least to tame the excess treble....

hth

Rob

6. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, id agree with that. Get as much soft furniture as you can. When i moved into my last flat my system went from wonderful and smooth to boom and tiss.
    What ever you do keep your speakers away from the corners of the room.
    I had my three piece suite set up so that the two arm chairs were facing each other with ways across the room and the three seater was facing the system and tv. It made it social and practical.

HTH

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Unfortunately that doesn't look like it's gonna be possible..

That's what i was planning on doing - unfortuantely i didn't retain a good memory of the room from my first viewing, and thought the wall between the two doors was longer than it is, and i didn't realise there was a radiator there - I had planned to have the front soundstage positioned there.

It's also annoying that there's a second radiator underneath the window at the top of the room (as seen in the diagram), as that complicates waht i can or can't put there

8. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Those double doors, where do they lead to? Would it be possible to have one of them always shut so you could put a speaker in front of it? Depending on how you want it, couldnt you have the sofa on the long wall and the two armchars in an arc at the other end of the room (by the radiator). Surely there is going to be room for a sizeable tv and one of the missions in the 2m space next to the doors. Its trying to imagine the room thats the problem.

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yeah...

The double doors lead to the dining room. Off the top of my head I can't remember if both doors were the same size or not - it's one of those things I just didn't think of measuring at the time, and I've a nasty suspicion that the one on the left (as seen in the diagram) is smaller than the one on the right.

I'm not worried about the size of TV, but rather a decent stand, as from research so far, the few AV racks that come close to suiting my needs tend to be a minimum of a metre wide

10. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Im assuming your not in there yet so when you get in there you can just play around with positioning, its basically impossible trying to do it on paper-as you have already found!

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yeah, we don't move in until the end of the month... We've not even got furniture ordered yet so i don't even have a rough idea of whetehr we are definitely getting a 3 seater sofa and 2 chairs as we discussed when we last went on the look out for some, or whether we'll end up getting somethign different...

To be honest, I doubt I'm even going to have a rack to put my AV gear in for months unless the shops stocking the AV furniture I'm interested in do interest free credit (which i doubt). I did briefly mull over using the home-made one I have at home now, but the gf put her foot down on that one and said no (not that I blame her... I don't think a badly put together white MDF unit will go too well with the Egyptian theme we're planning on for the lounge)

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  13. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for that.... I was meaning to find the link for that after Kazuya Mishima mentioned it, but I hadn't got round to it yet

14. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hmm.... not a bad little program... My only problem with it is that there's no grouping function, as that means that trying to simulate an AV rack is hard as if you want to change the position of the unit, you have to move all the pieces.

15. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You can simulate your rack by just dropping in a big box the same rough size. Works for me.

16. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well from my experiments today, I've got the following layouts as possibles...

17. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    [​IMG]

In some respects good as it gives ample space to the speakers, following Missions own guidance on speaker placement (specifically to give a minimum 50cm to between side walls and speakers, and about 20cm behind the fronts), and gets the full compliment of chairs in.

On the down side, it's down to about 2m between TV and viewing position - a bit too close for comfort for me.

18. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    [​IMG]

This one not favoured too much as it only gives room for a 2-seater sofa - we're looking more at 3 seaters as I'm on the tall side and like something i can lie down on without bending the knees if posible...

Also front speaker placement probably quite a way from ideal... Can either have Mission recommended distances from side wall, OR their recommended minimum distance between speakers...

19. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    [​IMG]

A bit more like it as we keep the 3 seater sofa, but the positioning of the front speakers probably isn't going to be best.

20. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    [​IMG]

This gives a pretty similar option as the previous one, although I still wouldn't be happy about the speaker positioning...

21. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I suppose the main issue is what's the positioning of the fronts likley to do to the bass reproduction? Given that one or both look like theyr'e going to have to be close to the walls, am I likely to experience a bit of annoying boom from them?

If so, might i get round it by using a subwoofer instead and setting all speakers to small so that the sub deals only with deep bass, or will the laminate flooring likely scupper that?