1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Speaker Location

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jonmurgie, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Am after some advice and suggestions on speaker location in my lounge which we have setup in a way that's not ideal for speaker locations!

Attached is a rough diagram of how our Lounge/Dining room is layed out. The furniture is pretty much set in stone so I can't move those around.... the TV is in red and the speakers are in blue.

The setup I have (or will have shortly) is:
    Mission 733 Fronts - already have these
    Mission M3C1 Centre - need to order
    Mission M3DS Rears - need to order
    Velodyne CHT-10 - collecting tonight
    Yamaha DSP-750SE - going to purchase v. soon!
    Toshiba 42PW23P - 42" Rear Projection

Advice I'm looking for is:

1. Position of rear speakers
    2. Position of sub
    3. Position of front speakers

With the front speakers I understand they should be quite far apart, but I just don,t have the space where the TV is located so I guess they will have to go there!

As the TV is a Rear Projection I'm gonna have to put the centre on the floor infront of the TV cause the top of the TV is only about 3" deep...

Oh, and any thoughts on the Speaker/Amp combo would be cool seeing as I have yet to order the centre/rear speakers... the 733 fronts I've had for about 8 years but still seem to rock :)

Um, think that's everything... if there's any more info that would help with suggestions let me know!

So... thoughts?

Cheers
    Jon

Attached Files:

2. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    No one got any thoughts/recommendations for me?

I spent ages doing the little layout!!

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Centre on the floor is a bad idea I'm afraid - highs and mid highs are quite directional and intelligibility will suffer. At the very least, you need to angle it upwards to point at the heads of the listener. But really it should be at or hear head height.

Also, you'll get little stereo image with the speakers that close together and the listener that far away. You need the speakers at least 6ft apart for decent stereo. Could you perhaps mount the centre LS on a stand so that it's just below the bottom of the screen?

Why not swap the TV and the sofa next to it and move the large sofa so its parallel - and maybe rotate the table 90deg.

4. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the input davehk, much appreciated.... though I'm not in a position to move the furniture so that's out the window!

I'm surprised no one else has anything advice to offer, having done the nice diagram I'd have thought some people woudl have loved to play about with the speak locations and give me some ideas!!

Perhaps there is still hope...?! :D