1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on speaker connections sought

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wimbledon, Jan 10, 2004.

1. wimbledon

wimbledon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it safe to connect more than one source to one set of hifi speakers? For instance apart from having speakers connected to my hifi amp I would also like to connect the left & right stereo channels from my prologic TV directly to the same hifi speakers, by-passing the hifi amplifier and the TV’s internal stereo speakers. I have left and right outputs on the TV to do this. Each speaker has available connects at the back for two sets of speaker wires. I seem to remember reading a long time ago that this is not safe practice as some of the connected equipment can fail.

Many thanks, Andre

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The two sets of speaker connectors on the back of each speaker are for biwiring them to the same amplifier. It is definately NOT safe practice to connect them to two different amplifiers

3. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your best bet is to use a speaker switching box, which aren`t very expensive. One set of cables gets connected from your speakers to the switcher and (I think) each source would go into the box. When you want to swith sources you can then manually swith sources. Your other option is to connect 2 phono cables from your hi-fi aux. to tv (if available). Then you can switch sources via your hi-fi....

4. wimbledon

wimbledon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for excelent advice - will stop me making an expensive mistake!

Regards,
    Andre