1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Speaker Change or Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FullFat, Apr 3, 2005.

1. FullFat

FullFat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi,

Be gentle with me I'm a rela novice here.

Currently have an Onkyo CR-505DAB CD player with built in DAB receiver hooked up to some JAMO E310 speakers. The problem is it sounds a bit weak, not enough bass in the music.

Would the best solution be to change the speakers or add in a subwoofer?

Budget 100 -150.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Cheers.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Definitely different speakers. There are plenty of suitable offerings from the likes of Mission, Mordaunt Short, Acoustic Energy and Wharfedale in your price range.

When I was looking at speakers in that price bracket I decided to go second hand as you can get speakers from the price bracket above which have barely been used so it would be worth doing a bit of research there too. Just bear in mind that in your price bracket you're never going to get ground shaking bass but you can definitely improve on those Jamo's. :)

3. FullFat

FullFat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I can't find any information on your Onkyo unit so don't know quite how big it is. Have you got a link to the specification and a picture?

The speakers you're considering are both floorstanding models which may be a bit expensive, my personal preference would be for smaller standmount speakers as with a bit of effort you can get a much better quality unit for the same price.

I would be more inclined to look at models such as the Acoustic Energy Evo1 here:
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1277

or even the Mission M71i which is only £59.95 from Richer Sounds if you take in the advert from the latest What Hifi magazine which leaves you some cash to either get some stands or buy some media to play through them.

There's plenty of choice available in that price bracket and if you stick to the bigger brand names you're unlikely to get a dud. You would do well to go down to your local hifi store and ask for a demo of a few models which might help you get a feel for the differences and help finalise what you want from the speakers. :)

5. FullFat

FullFat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    eviljohn2 this is the closest I can find on the onkyo http://www.onkyo.co.uk/pdf/home/ONKYO_CS-220UK.pdf I was told when I bought it that the 505 is the new version but this looks identical to me.

I have no real preference for floor standers, I just thought they would give more oomph to the sound!

I your advice still stands given the link above I'll try to get down somehwere to give them a try out.