1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on: Sony STRDE585/685 vs Yamaha RX-V430RDS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spacecowboy, Nov 15, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently considering these 2 amps, thinking of hooking them up to the Yamaha NSP-320 sub/sat package or perhaps a 5 speaker package with no sub (budget won't stretch).
    Yamaha NSP-320= £150.

The thing is the Yamaha 430 does DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, which is basically a phantom rear which would be a nice little bonus.
    My Q is do the Sony 585/685 amps have this feature or any anything like it?
    If the Sony does the phantom rear speaker then i'll probably get that.

The only thing putting me off the Yam is that it only has 2 digital inputs, but i guess i only need 2 (DVD player and Xbox).

I would consider the Pioneer VSX-D511, which creates a phantom rear but i haven't read any reveiws for it.

Advice on amp choice would be appreciated.

2. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Hifibitz website it says the Sony STRDE-585 amp has something called "Digital Cinema Sound (Cinema Studio EX)". clicky

Does this Cinema Studio EX mode, create a phantom rear? Come on someone must know!

3. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone read any reveiws of the Sony STRDE585/685 amps? Any chance of a link?

I've looked everywhere for reviews but can't find any at all. They are fairly new but surely there must be some reveiws out there!

Oh and does anyone know what "Cinema Studio EX" is? :confused:

4. KeithH

KeithH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can say that i own a Yamaha V800 which has both DDEX and DTSES and i also own a Sony STR-DB930 (1999 model) that does'nt but it does have the studio cinema sound modes and an option in the menu called virtual rear speakers that makes two rear surrounds sound like an array of five speakers.And in my opinnion the Sony sounds better,i think the Sony Cinema sound modes with the virtual speaker mode on sounds better than the yamaha as a matter of fact i think Sony recievers for home theater are the best in the bussiness.When i listen to a DVD encoded with DDEX or DTSES on the Yamaha i cant hear any difference between DDEX-DTSES on or off,i just think the sony does the job better.But to be perfectly honest with you,if you do decide on getting a Sony spend a little more money for at least one of the DB model Sonys and forget about the DE line of Sony,the DE's have very weak and cheap power supplies.The DB units are in between the DE line and the high end ES line.I just think you will be more happy with a DB reciever.Hope this helped some and good luck in your choice.PEACE from USA..