1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Sky and Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by duncs, Sep 22, 2003.

1. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As some of you may remember, a few weeks ago I ordered Sky and then canceled the order as Sky customer services were unable :confused: to tell me what connections were present on the back of a Sky box. Thanks to you guys, I now have the information I need.

So this takes me onto ordering a second time ;)

Eventualy I think I will be looking into having Sky+ in my main viewing room and a second digibox upstairs to use in my bedroom and a feed into my kids room.

Can anyone confirm or correct my assumptions on the cheapest way of doing this.

- I get Sky on the £38 package for £1 install. Keep this for a month then upgrade to Sky + for £199 plus installation of £???. I keep my old digibox and move it upstairs.

- I need not pay the mirror charge of £10 and I can still watch freeview on the second digibox. If I want to subscribe to the mirror, I need not enter a 1 year contract for the mirror but can subscribe for one month only.

I would be able to take two feeds from the second box (using a splitter if necesary). I could add a RF remote to the digibox upstairs so the kids could change channel from their room.

Is this all possible and does anyone know what the installation for the upgrade to Sky+ and moving the second box would be? Is there anything I have missed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Installation for sky+ is currently £50 if you already subscribe to sky. I assume you'll have to move your existing box yourself, or offer the installers some cash.

Subscription costs an extra £10/month, BUT, form 1/10/03, it will be free if you subscribe to 2 premium channels (sky sports 1, 2, sky movies Prem & max).

3. nemesis

nemesis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do believe that if you order sky+ online then installation will cost £1 for exising customers too.

I too am thinking of upgrading and saw this info on the sky+ website

4. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What changes are made if you upgrade from standard Sky?

Bazza

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    Just £199 for box and £1 or £50 for installation.I called sky today to change my 2nd digi box to sky+,told them was having trouble with there web site when trying to order so he gave me the £1 installation on the phone.:clap:

6. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    What installation in involved when upgrading to sky+? Surely they just unplug the old box and plug in the new one.

7. r22flyer

r22flyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the Sky+ has 2 receivers and, effectively requires 2 LNBs. This is actually achieved by using a dual or quad output replacement LNB. A double cable run is also required.

8. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    they change the lnb to a quad lnb which has 4 inputs and use two of them for sky+ and one other for your normal digibox in your bedroom

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ has 2 tuners which allows for the simultaneous watch and record.The quad LNB(4 outputs) you will get has 2 cable runs ,one for each tuner.The other 2 can be used for additional digiboxes if you require them.Its cheaper to get additional boxes wired in at the same time as your Sky+ installation than it will be if you want to have an extra box later.Although,dependant on the location of an extra box,you could probably DIY