Advice on Skoda/VW/SEAT 2nd hand car purchase.

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Wildkarrde, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    A little venture into motoring for me!

I will be looking to change my 2002 52plate VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI real soon as i have some £ winging it's way to me.
    Now i don't change my cars much as the above shows! I purchased the above car back in Feb 06, i'm the 2nd owner and i'm looking at either -

Skoda Octavia VRS TDI
    SEAT Leon FR TDI
    VW Golf Mk 5 GTTDI

I'm looking to stick to Diesel again and would like something similar to what i have. My issue is that all the above are owned by the VAG group and all have similar qualities but for those better clued up is there one better than the others?

To give you an idea i'm only looking to spend around 5K (or less), so a 57 or 08 plate is probably at the top of my limit. I don't really care for mileage (my current is 172K) so long as there is a full history.
    I do around 10-12k miles a year.

I reckon that my car has a value of around £800 - 1K, would that seem about right? It has a full service history (mainly local Indie).

I appreciate any hints,tips and advice.

2. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Tbh don't think there would be much between them build wise. Never liked the inside of early seats far to bland for me. Good luck.

3. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,658
    Understand your going older but my 63 plate Vrs Octavia TDI has been superb for the 24k it's done. Honestly can't fault it. Should be able to get the Mk11 vRS which has generally similar praise from owners.

4. YankTank

YankTank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I guess the right thing to do is look for all three and see what you can find - as with all used cars, its whats available at the time that often determines your purchase! The Skoda would be top of the list for me, but thats just because of my previous experiences with that brand.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The Skoda and Seat will offer better value for money since the Golf will have a premium attached to it. In terms of space the Octavia has a bigger boot. I had a Mk2 diesel VRS with the PD engine and it was a lot of fun. Not the most refined engine in the world but gives a big lump of power low down which makes it feel quicker than it is. There can be issues with the PD engine and the DPFs fitted to them but never had an issue with mine.

6. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
  7. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    VRS went from PD to CR in 2008 so I would be looking for a CR as it gives less DPF problems.

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The cr is more refined than the pd and slightly better fuel economy but not as much fun.

9. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    Thanks for the input so far guys, appreciated.
    @LJx, I don't have the £ yet so will look at that if still available when I do. I don't mind travelling for the right car.

@ufitsy, excuse my ignorance but what is PD to CR and less DPF?
    @PSM1, the PD is better then?

Of the 3 I am leaning towards the Skoda. I beleive it to be bigger and should present better value but the Leon is a close 2nd.

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    PD is the older VAG diesel engine which would be in your current Golf. The CR is a common rail diesel that replaced the PD engine. They replaced the PD engine mainly due to new regulations which the PD would have struggled to meet. They fitted a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) to the later PD engines (06 onwards I think) to get them to pass the standards but since the engines were not really designed to be used with a DPF then there were some issues. To be honest I never had DPF filter issues with mine in the 4 years I owned it. My usual drive at the time was a 10 mile to work and 10 mile back on a mixture of B,A roads and Motorway. I have now had the CR VRS for 5 years and no DPF issues in this one either. Not sure which I would say is better between PD and CR to be honest. Each have their own plus and negative points. I do miss the big shunt you got with the PD engine but the CR is much easier to drive smoothly and is probably quicker overall.

11. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,595
    I've heard the Mk5 golf is riddled with problems for clutch and gearbox and was advised against buying one. I have the same car as you except it's the 2003 but only have 46k miles. :)
    Depending on when you get your money, there is a lovely 3 series estate for just over 5k on these forums.

12. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    Wow, 12 yrs old and 43k miles does your Gran drive it

I seen that 3 series and it was very nice but a little over budget and it was a 16 hour round trip. I dare say it would need to be well under his asking to even consider it given the factors.

13. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,595
    Nope, I bought it 5 years ago with 8k miles on it. I do between 6-8k miles per year in it.

I'd go with the Skoda out of the ones you mentioned, but guess they are still going to be high milers.
    Had many problems with yours?

14. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    Bloody good buy then! Mines had 65k when I bought it.
    High mileage represents no issues for me so long as well looked after. That engine of ours will be good for 300k so long as its regularly serviced.

I've had no major issues, all just wear and tear. The only issue I now have is the arches are starting to bubble and rust and the lacquer is starting to come of the wing mirrors, but that's nothing that couldn't be solved.

I've kept every receipt of work done over the years I've owned it, would hate to add it all up!!

I generally run mine into the ground then change. I would have kept this longer but the cash boost coming gives me an excuse to do so earlier than anticipated :)

15. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,595
    With the mileage on mine, I'd planned to keep it for 10 years, but the 5 i've had it is the longest I've owned a car, and have a new car itch. It doesn't help that my wife has just got a new car, and i bought her Polo after I bought my golf, so she jumped the queue! :)

Yeah the engines are mint in these. Noisy but solid work horses.
    I'm sure this car will outlive me!

16. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    How does a Volvo S40 Sport D rate? Not what i was looking for but has caught my eye with price and features.
    Anyone have experience with them?

17. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    The Octavia VRS is basically a Golf but more practical with bigger boot space and rear seats. The Golf is quicker though. Switchgear is shared amongst them all as are many of the engine components.

The Golf will retain it's value more. If you want the space, the VRS is easily the better choice but otherwise I would go the Golf although it will cost more than the other two. Another option would be an Audi A3?

18. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    Never considered the A3 as i assumed it to be the top of the tree in regards to the VAG group and likely to be out my budget range.

19. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Yes, they're all essentially the same car but rebadged. The range goes:

Value: Skoda
    Design: SEAT
    Premium: Audi
    Luxury/Performance: Bentley, Porsche
    Supercar: Lambo, Bugatti

An A3 will be within budget but it might be an older or higher mileage car. Have you got a preference for cars from the VW group?

20. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    I don't change cars much, have had my Golf for around 9 1/2 yrs and previously had a Ibiza GTi for 3 years and i was happy with both cars in terms of build quality and cost effectiveness.
    This has led me to sticking to the VAG group for my next choice.

I have found the diesel GTTDI to be very good in performance and fuel consumption. I easily get 45 mpg and can get power if i need to.

You throwing a spanner in my works :)

21. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    If speed and fuel economy are top of the list, I would stick with the Golf GTD or a Skoda VRS.

Have you considered the Fabia vRS? Really fun to drive, more distinctive than a Golf and will be cheaper/newer for the same money. The petrol version has diesel like economy and a quick look found a 2011 model for £6k.

The older diesel model can be had for well under 5k for an 07 mark (it was replaced that year with the newer petrol only model) so you;ll save quite a bit on the badge. The Petrol is rated at 45mpg and the diesel is rated at 53mpg. Personally, I would get the newer petrol if the budget will stretch to 6k as it's a completely new car and not just a facelift revision.

For driving pleasure, it's hard to beat a small petrol engine for economy with a turbo and super charger for performance :thumbsup:

22. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    Yes i have considered the Fabia but i forgot to mention that i need decent boot space and rear space for the kids car seat. I assumed that the Fabia was smaller than the Golf and it's just about right for my needs at the moment.
    I assume right, yeah?

23. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    If a kids car seat and decent boot space is required than an Octavia vRS is best suited. Lovely big boot, which is why the Rozzers use them, and lots of rear legroom for a car seat and other passengers. With the Golf, if you put the car seat in the back (baby seat, right?), the front passenger seat will be shoved forward quite a bit. As baby grows older and moves to a booster, it's not a problem but some of the baby seats are quite bulky.

24. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    And room for the golf clubs too ;)

My son is nearly 4 and we use a Recaro Young Sport seat for him which will do till he's a good bit older. The passenger seat in my Golf just now is moved forward but fortunately my Wife is tiny so it's not too much of an inconvenience!

Just had a phone call from the car replacement company (my Golf was involved in an accident) and i'm getting a Seat Leon so at least will have a drive of something that's on my list albeit not an FR.

Thanks for the advice buddy :thumbsup:

25. GrumpyOldGamer

GrumpyOldGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +775
    Exactly why I sold my 2011 Focus after baby arrived and bought a 2011 VW Passat estate, best move I ever made.

26. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The petrol Fabia was also only available with a DSG gearbox which is not to everyone's taste.
    As said there is nothing really to chose between the Golf, Leon and Octavia in terms of driving them as basically the same underneath. The only differences are styling and boot space as well as cost. So I would look at all 3 (unless you really hate the look of one of them) and see what comes up in your area in your budget range. You can then compare the different options to decide which option you prefer in terms of cost, age and condition.

27. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I love the DSG box :thumbsup:

If you live in London, an auto makes it so much easier for handling the traffic. The paddle shifts on the steering wheel are an added bonus.

28. doubledragonxx

doubledragonxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    I've got a 2010 Skoda Octavia VRS with 80k on the clock and owned from new and it's never missed a beat. Loads of low down torque, very economical, decent interior build, comfortable on long journeys. What must be biggest plus over the others is that it has a cavernous boot.

Negatives for me is that engine isn't the most refined, bit of tyre noise and whilst interior has nice soft plastics and is well made there is no getting away from the fact that it's fairly bland.

29. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,510
    Going to look at a Audi A3 Sportback (2.0 TDi 170) 08 plate tomorrow. 71k on the clock, 1 owner and FSH. Any questions i shoulkd be asking on this model?

30. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,595
    Does that engine have a timing chain or cambelt? Worth checking in case cambelt needs changing.