Advice on Shallow on wall speakers XTZ Spirit

Jayrule

Standard Member
I need someone with experience or knowledge about possibly upgrading my LCR. I currently have Monitor Audio Radius 225 LCR purchased on here not too long ago (a nice step up from my previous MA Vectors).
My man cave is quite narrow and as you can see from the picture the pool table plays a large part in what speakers I can have on the wall.They have to be shallow depth.
Question is: Spirit 2 as LR and Spirit 6 as centre VS Spirit 6 LCR. Between the 2 is this a large or marked improvement? Worth upgrading over the 225's?
I am powering them with a Anthem MRX 310 (XTZ 12.17 edge sub, M&K K4's as surround)
Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5622.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5622.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 37

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The XTZs won´t sound as bright as the MAs so you lose some top end sparkle, but is that positive or negative thing depends of your taste. XTZ has 30day buy&try so can always return.

Buy the Spirit 6 LCR if you do go that route! Save the small speakers at rear. Below is example of Spirit 6 front stage:

20190215_233415-jpg.1122210

Jayrule

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply and will take that into consideration 👍🏻
Apart from top end sparkle will the spirit 6’s be a marked step up (even to the untrained ears of my mrs - need to “prove” the extra cost!)

TarPot

I can't say how they'll be in comparison to your MAs, but I use the Spirit 6s as surrounds and think they offer great value.

@tebbo65 has a 2nd system with a Spirit 6 front stage. Any words here, mate?

tebbo65

I can't say how they'll be in comparison to your MAs, but I use the Spirit 6s as surrounds and think they offer great value.

@tebbo65 has a 2nd system with a Spirit 6 front stage. Any words here, mate?
I have tried different speakers as alternatives to the 6's but nothing so far has tempted me to change them. They sound and measure great.
The only conciderd replacement would be Cinema M6's but they would be overkill in an already overkilled bedroom set up.
Would 6's be a significant upgrade over the MA's? Very difficult to say!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys - appreciate all your input.

I remember there was some Spirit review was it for model 2 on the XTZ site where they also mentioned MA Bronzes and others. This is where they noticed the difference in the high frequencies while also backing it up with some measurements so the top end does roll off sooner. Some like the brighter presentation more like giving the feeling of more detailed exciting sound where as other prefer the smoother/neutral non fatiguing sound. Thankfully there is buy & try, but you have to pay the shipping costs still.

Another option would be the low depth LCR Monitor Audio Apex A40 x3 which should be clear step up from the Radius range if you got the budget and like the MA sound. Finally Arendal Sound 1961 Monitor and 1961 Centre which are tad smaller height/width wise than Spirit 6 with similar depth. These are one of the more popular ones these days, but they are also one step higher to Spirits so will cost more. However they cost much less than similar M&Ks.

Jayrule

Standard Member
Thank you so much for your advise! Budget wise I like the XTZ buy & try so only loose the postage if its not a huge difference to what I have. Also didn't consider the other options before so definatly open to good deals that pop up on here.

My only regret is I wish I had joined this forum a long time ago!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom