Advice on setup please

Moosh

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi ppl

I am very new to the whole home cinema arena but after quite a bit of research I'm awaiting delivery of a Pioneer PDP-505XDE, a DV-868AVi-S DVD player and VSX-AX5Ai amplifier. I already have speakers and sub-woofer but have got little to no idea as to how to go about setting all this up!

My understanding is as follows:
HDMI cable between PDP-505XDE media box and the 868.
Optical from 868 to AX5ai
Optical from my PlayStation 2 to AX5ai
Optical from my exisiting CD Player to AX5ai

The PS2 comes with a video cable and would that plug directly into the media box (SCART)?

I know the amplifier has all sorts of sockets and such, so does any video equipment need to plug into the back of it and if so how?

Also, all of the Pioneer equipment I'm waiting for has iLink connectivity. I take it a 4 pin firewire cable would daisychain all the equipment together?

I told you I was new to this! :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Moosh

mmahmed said:
Hi ppl

My understanding is as follows:
HDMI cable between PDP-505XDE media box and the 868.
Optical from 868 to AX5ai
Optical from my PlayStation 2 to AX5ai
Optical from my exisiting CD Player to AX5ai

The PS2 comes with a video cable and would that plug directly into the media box (SCART)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Moosh

Hi Moosh
the way you have said would be fine, But I would connect the 868 to AX5i via I-link.

You could also use a ps2 componet cable to connect to the media box but I'm unsure if these have optical outputs or just analog ones

And no need to use any video switching on your amp as you can just connect direct to the Pioneer media box.

Also is might be a good idea to try your CD player connected analog rca's or optical and stick with which ever you feel sounds better to you

:)

SamirP said:
Hi Moosh
the way you have said would be fine, But I would connect the 868 to AX5i via I-link.

You could also use a ps2 componet cable to connect to the media box but I'm unsure if these have optical outputs or just analog ones

And no need to use any video switching on your amp as you can just connect direct to the Pioneer media box.

Also is might be a good idea to try your CD player connected analog rca's or optical and stick with which ever you feel sounds better to you

:)

Cheers for that.

So for audio:
Amp to Media box via iLink
Media box to DVD Player via iLink
Amp to CD Player via optical
Amp to PS2 via optical

For video:
Media box to DVD via HDMI
PS2 to Media box via component scart

Thanks again for you advice.
Moosh