1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on setting up a home system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jamesg1979, Jan 25, 2005.

1. jamesg1979

jamesg1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Any advice would be welcome here! This is my first post by the way!! But not my last :thumbsup:

Also I wasnt sure where to post this so sorry if it's in the wrong place

OK, I have a Yamaha amplifier & also a Cambridge amplifier too (which I dont use very often).

I have two rooms and 2 pairs of speakers, I plan to have a pair in our conservatory and a pair in our lounge.

The yamaha amplifier has Speaker A and B options and I plan to be able to have music in one room or both rooms depending on what Im up to.
    This is pretty simple no?

Connected into my amplifier is my PC (this acts as an Ipod and plays random tunes) - this is in the conservatory.
    Also I have my DVD player - this is used for films (obviously) and also playing CD's
    Lastly I have my Digital Freebox hooked up. These are both in my lounge.

What I would like to know is, do you have any suggestions for if say Im entertaining the lads in the conservatory listening to the PC, and my missus wants to watch a DVD or television in the lounge.

Is there a way to be able to play both @ the same time do you know? Do I need a new amp for this or some kind of controller?

I thought about having the DVD player and television hooked up to the cambridge amplifier, but it still wouldnt allow me to be able to play DVD/CD's through to the conservatory. and also I dont think there is a way to get the speakers in there coming out of two amps?!?

Am I making sense? Is this simple or impossble?
    Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks a lot

2. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi James,

I think you'd need to have the yamaha amp and 2 speakers in your lounge, the cambridge and 2 speakers in the conservatory. The easiest option, if your DVD has a digital output and your yamaha amp will accept one, is to run the digital output from there into the yamaha and the analog output into the cambridge amp. This would still leave you the problem of how to connect your PC, though, and your yamaha may not have a digital input. Other suggestions therefore below...

1- You can buy adapters which let you run two (2 phono) hi fi connectors into one 2 phone connection from maplin, richer sounds etc. - you usually use them to share one input on your amp with 2 sources. However, I *presume* you could also use them to switch one source between 2 amps: have the 2 phono connections from your DVD going into one of these adapters, which lets you switch it between feeding the cambridge and yamaha amp; do the same with your PC. One thing I would say is that, depending how far it is to your conservatory and how good your DVD player is, a decent interconnect cable to cover that length might cost more than a budget CD player to the conservatory would.

2- option 1 the above should let you run your DVD etc. through *either* the cambridge or yamaha amp. If you want to be able to have it playing in conservatory *and* lounge at once, I can see 2 options
    a- if you prefer the sound on the yamaha amp to the cambridge, you can buy adapters that you usually use to run 2 sets of speakers off one amp. However, I think you should also be able to use them to switch between running the speakers in your conservatory off of either the yamaha amp the speaker b output) or the cambridge. One word of warning, though - make *sure* no-one sets the switch so both amps are powering the 1 pair of speakers at the same time, as you could very likely fry them!
    b- if the yamaha has a tape output, run an interconnect from this to one of the inputs on the cambridge. This will let you have the same music playing in lounge and conservatory, and will give you more power than running all the speakers off of one amp. I think you could continue along this type of line to use another switch of the type suggested in 1 to share one interconnect cable between the CD player and yamaha amp in the lounge.

Hope that makes sense... Lots of cables/switches involved, but I guess once it's set up it'd be finished... Depends if you find it worth bothering, I guess...could also just buy a spare CD player ;)

Jon

3. jamesg1979

jamesg1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

You are probably right with the spare CD player!!
    Something that I might not have made clear is that the Yamaha speaker does have two sets of speaker outputs.
    It also has a two buttons on the front.
    One says Speakers A and the other says Speakers B.
    I havent yet tested this (I havent actually moved into the house yet!), but I presume when you have two sets of speakers connected, and have both buttons pressed it feeds to both speakers, and when only Speakers A is pressed it on only feeds to one set of speakers and the same for Speakers B.
    So this part is fairly simple :confused: (I think!!).

I suppose the best thing would be to have that as the main one.
    And then maybe an output to the cambridge amplifier for the TV stuff???

Bear with me, Im fairly new to this malarky!

But I might not even need the Speaker A / B thing...
    If I have the tape output from the yamaha to the AUX (for example) input of the Cambridge, and then the DVD / Freeviews to spare selected inputs in the Cambridge and the second set of speakers connected from the Cambridge. We should be able to listen to either the PC in both rooms or the PC in the conservatory and the DVD/Freeview in the lounge.
    Im not bothered I dont think about playing the DVD in the conservatory. But in a way, I suppose I could do that if I wanted to by using a Tape Output of the CAMBRIDGE back into a spare input in the YAMAHA.

My god does this make any sense to anyone!!!!!????

By the way the conservatory is next to the lounge but not directly accesible through a door but I could drill through.

4. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Running 2 pairs of speakers should be simple enough with the speaker a/b outputs (though you'll get less power out of each pair when both are running). Things only get complicated if you want different sounds in the different rooms.

"But I might not even need the Speaker A / B thing...
    If I have the tape output from the yamaha to the AUX (for example) input of the Cambridge, and then the DVD / Freeviews to spare selected inputs in the Cambridge and the second set of speakers connected from the Cambridge. We should be able to listen to either the PC in both rooms or the PC in the conservatory and the DVD/Freeview in the lounge.
    Im not bothered I dont think about playing the DVD in the conservatory. But in a way, I suppose I could do that if I wanted to by using a Tape Output of the CAMBRIDGE back into a spare input in the YAMAHA."

Yeah, sounds like that could work OK (so long as the PC is plugged into the yamaha and the Cambridge is in the lounge) If it's only the PC you need to hear in both rooms, you could also try a wireless network (using something like apple's airport) to have the PC's music taken wirelessly to the lounge, and just plugging the PC into an input of the amp in the conservatory. You could then avoid drilling a hole in the wall (if that's a hassle) and long runs of cable; not sure what the sound quality is like on these, though....

Jon

5. jamesg1979

jamesg1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You see Im glad you suggested the tape output thing as that was the misisng link. I knew it was posisble!
    Will lookinto the wireless thing, but it sounds expensive!!

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    glad it was some help; best of luck with getting this set-up. Yeah, the wireless thing is likely to be expensive (I was thinking of doing it myself, but decided against it when I realised it would cost more than my amp did!) unless you can get a 2nd-hand bargain; probably not worth doing if you can lay cables without them being in the way too much.

Jon