1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on setting black level

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by 7 of 9, Nov 5, 2004.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can someone give some advice on setting the black level aka brightness level on my tv for the best picture quality.

thanks from 7 of 9

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, as a non-techie, I'll explain how I do it. Set the brightness in the room as dark as you would ever normally have it, then, assuming you don't have access to DVE (Digital Video Essentials), find a black frame on a DVD (usually at the start of the first chapter of a film) then pause it, so you have a totally black screen. Increase the brightness so that the black becomes grey, then decrease the brightness again, just until the grey disappears, and your screen looks turned off (if you know what I mean), or totally black. The adjust the contrast, so that whites looks white, but without 'blooming'. You may have to fiddle with both adjustments for a while until you get them right. The most important thing for me is that black looks black, and not a murky grey. I always find it's better to have a higher contrast and a lower brightness, than vice-versa.

Obviously there are more technical ways to do this, which I am certain somone will explain, or you could use the THX Optimisers found on some Fox DVDs.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    As Simon suggested, unless you have something like DVE (for PAL disks) or Avia (for NTSC disks), then the THX optomiser will be the next best thing.

The only drawback is, the THX Optomiser is designed purely for the disk it's on, so can't really be used as a blanket calibration, but it will get you in the ballpark so to speak.

Gary.

4. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have recantly used ultimate dvd platinum system calibration disk (ntsc) and thx optimiser from on star wars ep iv (pal) and get different results which settings should i use.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    If the pj has memories for each input and type, then it will remember the different settings for PAL and NTSC. Both systems have different levels for black, so thay will have different settings for brightness at least.

If it isn't able to distinguish between ntsc or pal differences from the player, then have a look and see if the player has 0ire or some form of black level setting for ntsc. Sometimes you can set the black output for ntsc to the same as pal, so they will bothe be the same when calibrated.

HTH

Gary.