Advice on selecting new 5.1 Speakers please :-)

Adam R

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have the following set up & i'm looking for a decent 5.1 speaker set on a budget:

Panasonic TH42PZ85BA
Sky HD Amstrad box with Optical & Coaxial out
PS3 Optical out
Xbox 360

I am probably going to spend about £150 ish on an Amp so will eventually have around £200 to spend on a 5.1 speaker set.

I am looking for possibly 4 bookshelf a centre & woofer or a satellite package with woofer. I have had a look on places like Ebay & Richer Sounds but I know nothing about speakers or Amps & find it all a bit of a mine field.:confused:

I have seen a local ad for some Sony SS-TS551 Speakers & SS-WS551 Sub Woofer. these as I understand were from the Sony DAV-S880 Home Cinema package but I was windering if they were likely to work from a seperate Amp?

The surround sound tower speakers have 4 x 50mm Bass/Mid Speakers and 1 x 25mm Tweeter with 2 Ports in each unit & are 100 Watts RMS

The Sub is 100 Watts & 3 Ohms Rated Impedance (whatever that means)

I really like the way these speakers look & they have to be better than My current surround sound setup of the following:

Acoustic solutions DS533: Subwoofer output power 35 watt RMS
Output Power 5 x 7 watt RMS

So, any help will be welcome.:smashin:
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Personally speaking, i'd steer clear of those speakers....

You have a couple of options, if you like the simplicity of the all in one systems such as that Sony, you could do far worse than combining you budget as one and buying this:

Sony HTSF-1300 - 5.1 ch - Home Cinema Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

You could use HDMi from your components and get an instant upgrade there!

Alternatively something like the:

Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package 500W: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

or

Tannoy SFX 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package - Silver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Combined with the:

ONKYO TXSR576 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4127 for details

Is over budget, but would give you more scope for individual component change at a later stage....

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You have a couple of options, if you like the simplicity of the all in one systems such as that Sony, you could do far worse than combining you budget as one and buying this:

Sony HTSF-1300 - 5.1 ch - Home Cinema Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Hi Scott, thanks for the info. I really like the Sony HTSF-1300 - 5.1 ch - Home Cinema Kit. I can't believe I've not stumbled upon it before! It looks perfect for my needs & is just the style I'm looking for. (wife Friendly):thumbsup:

If anyone has any pics of this set up in their home then it would be great to see them.
:smashin:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Bit of advice, dont get to hung up on wattage ratings. My bro has a 60 watt sub that kncks socks off a 250 watt one he previously had. The ohm rating is a measue of how difficult a speak is to drive by an amplifier and is only important to you if you buying an amp an speakers seperately mixing and matching. All in one systems are designed to work together.:smashin:

Now on you budget there is a whole world of budget gear available, but to make your cash go furthest I highly reccomend buying pre-owned stuff if you dont mind doing. You'll get a heck of a lot more for your money.

Here are some examples of what I think you should look at.

Amp - might get it for 150 with some haggling and it wont be that far from budget.

Traditional speakers - will sound better than style speakers and you could live without a sub, even if its only for now.

Style speakers - Look the most discreet but need a sub or they sound crap and wont be that good music wise, especially compared to traditional speakers.

Sub - Needed for bass with style speakers.

You'll have to do a bit of digging and maybe be a bit patient but trust me when I say it'll be worth it. An all in one system at this price, especially brand new just wouldnt compete. I put together a pre-owned budget system like this for my brother and he still cant beleive what I delivered.

Last edited by a moderator:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi Scott, thanks for the info. I really like the Sony HTSF-1300 - 5.1 ch - Home Cinema Kit. I can't believe I've not stumbled upon it before! It looks perfect for my needs & is just the style I'm looking for. (wife Friendly):thumbsup:

If anyone has any pics of this set up in their home then it would be great to see them.
:smashin:

Can't help on the pics front sorry, but it's a good bit of kit - very generous spec and actually sounds pretty good!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom