1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on selecting LCD TV with PC connectivity

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tntfoz, Jun 23, 2004.

1. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a widescreen LCD TV that will lead a double-life as a second monitor for my PC.

I've researched a lot of the current 23" models and have narrowed the prospects down to the following (all available from John Lewis):

1) Philips 23PF-9945
    2) JVC LT23-E31BJE
    3) Samsung LW22-A13WX

Each of the above have PC-DSUB connectors and run at WXGA resolution and so should technically be capable as a PC monitor. However has anyone used any of the above sets with their PC and if so can they recommend any of the above (or not)? Are there alternatives I've missed?

There is also a 26" Samsung - LW26-A33WX which seems to have a DVI-HDCP port as well as a PC-DSUB connector. Is this the same as a DVI-I port on a standard PC monitor, or something else entirely?

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The DVI is the same as can be found on TFT's...

I don't know much about the Philips - but the 22" Samsung has DVI and a response time of 16ms! Excellent for use with a PC.

I've had a look on Philips site and they make no metion of the response time.

The 27" Thomson is also worth a look as it also has DVI and 16ms response time and costs lowly £13xx!

Although the larger LCD's might be a bit too much for normal PC usage...

3. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the reply.

The response time on the Samsung sounds exceptional!

Hadn't really thought about that aspect - but of course for PC use (especially gaming) it's very important.

Anyone here that actually owns one able to vouch for its picture quality and such?

Never really considered Thomson as a decent manufacturer before (is that my bad?) - however 27" is way too big for my desk!

Regards,

Tim.

4. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I bought the Samsung LW26A33W recently. I've only really watched the football on it so far. With both the built in analog and a DVB STB, the BBC picture is noticeably better than ITV. I've seen some negative comments about the picture quality but I have to say I'm fairly pleased with it (perhaps I'm not as fussy as some).

I haven't tried with a PC yet. I'll try and get the necessary cables this weekend. My PC has VGA and DVI out, so I'll try both.

Note: the manual says something like "DVI dose [sic] not support PC function". I'm not sure if this means that you can't connect a PC via the DVI or that, if you do, it will not have all the functionality of the VGA. We shall see.

The only downside that I have found so far (and I've mentioned this in another thread), is that I can't work out how to get a full width 16:9 broadcast from the STB. The screen is 15:9, so a full width display would have to be letterboxed. The nearest that I can get is a full-height 15:9 (i.e. slightly cropped left and right). Still awaiting response from Samsung on this one.

5. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fruitbat.

Thanks for the informative post. Please post how you get on with your PC connectivity. I'm particularly interested in how the PC recognises the screen - will it use the WXGA (1280x768) resolution or use a standard 4:3 res like 1024x768.

Try a couple of action games as well if you can - hopefully the low response time should eliminate ghosting?

When you mention about only being able to get a letterboxed display for 16:9 - is that also the case for aerial broadcasts and DVD's, as well as your DVB box?

Thanks,

Tim.

6. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I've not got the cables yet. I should be able to nip out to PC World this afternoon.
    Meanwhile...

1. Resolution: The manual claims 1024 x 768 supported. :oops: I meant 1280x768

2. Games: I shall do my best, but we're not really an action games household. I think the nearest I can get is "Beanotown Racing". I'm hoping to try with an old 486 with DOS games as well.

3. Just to clarify: I want a letterboxed display for 16:9 (since the screen is 15:9). All I can get is a cropped (overscanned?) display. Amazingly, I don't own a DVD player. I would be planning to get one that makes use of the DVI input. My only worry would be whether I can get a full-width, undistorted picture from this source.

Hopefully, I'll have more info this evening...

7. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beanotown Racing? Don't think I've heard of that one!

No prob's on the games front - it was just a curiosity anyway.

Let me know how you get on with your PC connections - and good grief man, no DVD player?

:)

8. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I got a VGA cable, but I postponed the DVI. 50 quid is a bit much just for a test.

It does support 1280x768 (this is what the manual claims - that was a typo on my previous post). As a PC monitor it is fantastic. Beanotown Racing is fine. I couldn't see any response time effects at all. My 10 year old daughter went through a few of her favourite games and didn't report any problem.

The PC has a Nova-T DVB card and this gave a pretty good picture. I would say sharper and less pixellated than the STB (Pioneer). Maybe the Nova-T has a better tuner or maybe the VGA cable (Belkin "High integrity" for large monitors) is better than the bundled scart cable. Better still (for me), the picture displayed in full-screen mode is true 16:9 letterboxed. The only downside was that motion was less smooth on the Nova-T (software decoding on an Athlon XP1700 - perhaps a newer PC would produce better results). It looks like the next toy for me is a small quiet PC to put the DVB card into (Shuttle Zen perhaps).

A final point on the joint TV/PC monitor idea. This TV is fine for our needs - we're about 2.5 metres away in normal viewing. If you view from closer (say 1 - 1.5 m) then the digital artefacts are noticeable and a smaller screen might work better.

9. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the update and your time testing.

The Samsung sounds to me like a great buy :)

Just have to wait for John Lewis to get them in stock (a couple of weeks they say - at £1595).

Hope I can find somewhere to price-match...

Regards,

Tim.

10. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fruitbat,

Another question regarding your Samsung if you'd be kind enough to answer...

How did your PC recognise the TV? Do Samsung provide a Windows driver for the monitor? or did Windows (XP?2000?ME?) find it automatically?

I believe the LCDs WXGA resolution is uncommon, so I'd have guessed a driver was necessary?

Nearly ready to take the plunge...

Thanks for your help.

Tim.

11. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    No software with the monitor.

The PC has multiple operating systems on it (because I do so much diddling around).
    I tried a Win2000 first and couldn't get the wide resolution (and swore silently as I thought I'd have to get a new video card). I tried Win98 and a different Win2000 and they were fine with the 1280x768. It turns out I had updated the video drivers on some of my partitions and not on others. I couldn't get WXGA in linux, but didn't try very hard.
    I got the latest drivers from the manufacturers website (ATI). I don't know if more generic drivers exist. I guess a Google search will tell you more if you know your hardware.

12. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

I'm in the market for a new PC too, so I'll make sure it's got an ATI card in instead of nVidia (although I'm sure they would suffice too).

The ATI Catalyst drivers should (hopefully) give the same resolution options whatever the card.

You've been a great help - thanks for your time.

Regards,

Tim.