• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on SD/SDHC Camcorders please.

zapata

I need some advice, I'm looking to buy a camcorder that uses flash memory such as SD/SDHC cards. I have heard some bad things about them such as poor picture quality and that it is hard to get the images onto a pc for burning to dvd. Good points are that they are smaller and no moving parts.
All views welcome including your experiences and advice on make/models.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I have heard some bad things about them such as poor picture quality and that it is hard to get the images onto a pc for burning to dvd.

There is a big range of camcorders which use flash memory. Standard definition and high definition. Good and not so good. But there is nothing about the media which makes them lesser quality.

And it certainly isn't hard to get the images on to a PC, just copy the files. If you are talking about high def (AVCHD) cams, then you do need a fast PC and the right software.

The high def Canon HF10/HF100 is good; the Panasonic SD9/SD5 is too, though maybe not quite a good (especially in low light). New Sony TG3 looks pretty good too, and tiny.

rhubarbe

I've had quite a few both SD and HD Solid State cams and frankly, I wouldn't use anything else now.

You take the SDHC card out of the cam, bung it into the card reader on your PC, and away you go.

Easy peasy.

zapata

I've had quite a few both SD and HD Solid State cams and frankly, I wouldn't use anything else now.

You take the SDHC card out of the cam, bung it into the card reader on your PC, and away you go.

Easy peasy.

Thanks for the answers, it's just that I have read the feedback on some of the sites such as play etc so wanted to get more of an idea. I just want standard definition as they seem to be smaller and want to be able to fit it into a pocket to save carrying a bag, any suggestions on models.

rhubarbe

Small?

SDR-S150 weighs 250g and is an SD cam

HDR-TG3 is just a tad more in weight and is the current "must have" HD cam, if you like small.

zapata

Small?

SDR-S150 weighs 250g and is an SD cam

HDR-TG3 is just a tad more in weight and is the current "must have" HD cam, if you like small.

I was thinking along the lines of the panny SDR-S7 which is super small, saw one in a shop the other day and they say it's dvd quality as it records in mpeg-2 format. Is the SDR-S150 a current model.

rhubarbe

Don't know. It does record in mpeg2 format though.

The SDR-S150 is a proper 3CCD cam. The SDR-S7 isn't. It looks OK, but as good.

zapata

Just found a review on the S150 -

We like:
Very compact for a 3CCD model; optical image stabiliser

We don't like:
Mediocre video; barely usable stills; poor battery life; slow focus

CNET.co.uk judgement:
While compact and convenient, Panasonic's SD-based SDR-S150 camcorder doesn't make the cut because of its video quality

and the S7 -

We like:
Peerless portability; decent standard definition video

We don't like:
Fiddly controls

CNET.co.uk judgement:
If camcorder purists can get past the fact that it's not high definition, and open their minds to the size, they'll see what the YouTube generation already knows: the Panasonic SDR-S7 is well worth a look. It gives decent video, fits in a pocket, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom