1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on scalers

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Magic, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm a bit confused on the relative merits of de-interlacers (like the iScan Pro) comapred to scalers (like the Quadscan Pro). I've searched through as many threads as I can find, and also picked Chris Frost's brains, but I'm still uncertain.

Given that these are the most affordable 2nd hand purchases, and are similarly priced what are the relative advantages/disadvantage of each unit?

2. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look on the progressive scan & video processing forum. there's lots of information on the iscan & Quadscan Pro.
    If you do a search I seem to remember not so long ago there was a thread titled Iscan Pro vs QS Pro.
    I've previously owned both these units and the iscan will be a far better prospect for you. The only draw back is that you will be restricted to doubling with an iscan, however if your looking for quality the iscan is in a different class. The other solution is to invest in a CS-1.

All the best!

popeye:hiya:

3. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Popeye,

Sorry for being such a dunce about this. All the stuff I want seems to be in the Progessive Scan forum. Never even noticed it was there before.

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A de-interlacer does just that, the picture size stays the same. A scaler, in addition to de-interlacing, can change (scale) the size of the picture, usually to match the pixel elements in a plasma or projector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.