Advice on Scaler/Processor for New user

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lannie, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Lannie

Lannie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 436FDE Screen fed by a Sky + Digibox, and a Teac Esoteric DV-50S. I will be upgrading to Sky HD when available. I have picked up from a search of the forums that there may be a problem using a processor/scaler with my setup, because of the Pioneer plasma. Will I benefit from one, or should I leave well alone (I am happy with the current picture quality from both sources).
    I would be grateful for any advice.:lease:
    Regards
    Chris

2. Lannie

Lannie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone help on this?

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Hello Lannie

The Pioneer Media Box is a log jam in terms of Video Processing - though it is possible to improve upon what your currently viewing using an External Video Processor combined with the expertise to get everything working as a 'system'.

The big question being do you plan to change the PlasmaTV at a future date and if yes should that influence your choice of Video Processor or not.

For around 1k you could install the likes of a Lumagen VisionDVI and have it configured and calibrated and that'll make a significant improvement to your set up.

For around 1.8K you could install the Lumagen VisionHDP (or HDQ) and that'll offer you improved performance over the VisionDVI.

After that you into 'Next Generation' territory with new models from the likes of Calibre, Crystalio, DVDO and Lumagen utilising new Processor chips from Gennum and Realta on the horizon; though in a different price bracket to the Lumagen Vision range.

Best regards

Joe

4. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312524

5. Lannie

Lannie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Joe, if money was not a problem, within reason, what would be the best option? Why is the Media Box a problem? Should I get SDI on my DVD or will it not make enough difference?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Hello Lannie

The problem with the Media Box is that it lacks a 'By-pass' or 'Pass-through' mode so its never Transparent.

The Media Box lacks the ability to Input a 1024x768 'pre scaled' signal and simply pass that to the screen - you are restricted to Inputting Video signals to the 'Video' Inputs (inc HDMI) which means the Media Box will always re-scale and process whatever you Input.

The best you can do is minimise what the Media Box gets up to and work around it - usually that involves pre processing everything to 720P (50Hz or 60Hz) and going in Digitally on the HDMI Input.

Having your Source SDI modified does work well and gives the Video Processor a very 'clean' source signal to work with.

I'd suggest the Lumagen VisionHDP or HDQ (same processing different chassis and Input arrangement) properly configured and calibrated is your best option.

Best regards

Joe