1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on Sanyo PLV30 plus screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by qixman, Aug 24, 2001.

1. qixman

qixman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have pretty much decided to buy a sanyo plv30, however i was wondering what the situation is regarding missing pixels.

Are they covered under the manufacturers warranty?<br />Can you take the projector back if there are any?<br />What is the likelyhood of pixel failure while using the projector?<br />Can the problem be repaired and at what price?

Also looking for a motorised screen about 6 feet, what screen type should i be looking at and where from?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Paul,

I have the sanyo.... i admit to hving one dead pixel.....though it isnt really that much of a distraction.....it took 2 weeks of looking for me to even notice it so i really just ignore it and never complained.....im sure there must be more but they are very tricky to see in main.

I have a dalite manual matt white 7 foot....the material seems fine if this is of assitance.

Ad

3. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Qixman,

I just took delivery of my PLV30 today. The firm selling it delivered it to my home, since they are more geared into supplying Sanyos for large business presentations or artistic installations.

Out came my AVIA disc and I went through the color screens section, with their 2 guys present, in order to check for stucked-open pixels...Big mistake.

I tought everything was OK, but short after they left I pressed the "NO SHOW" buttom which mutes the projector into "black screen" mode. There it was, in all its glory, like the proverbial lighthouse in a pitch dark coastal night: 1 open pixel.

Now, I would have no problem with it, if it was located in the "wastable" part of the 4:3 format. But its position is also in the top left corner when I switch to 16:9.

A quick call to the firm who, in turn, contacted Sanyo:

They came up with something about "... Sanyo policy states the unit is OK if the problem affects less than 0,0001% of the pixel structure".

This translates into 48 out of 480.000 pixels (800x600)!!!

I politly told them that this was not acceptable. I told then that since LCD projectors are of an "computer presentations" lineage, this is probably an old policy. I really do not see a problem if one gets some open pixels in a projector used for PowerPoint presentations. But, as I pointed out to them, the PLV30 is market-targeted for HomeCinema (it even has a logo sticker labeled "DV Theater" on top!). The whole point for me (and other people) to be spending this kind of money, is to get a higher quality flawless movie picture.

I must have been convincing, because next Tuesday they will drop by with 2 or 3 possible replacments….

Regards.

H.Borges

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I watched a film just there.....and despite having been talking about this pixel i have.....i forgot about it entirely! The pixel i have doesnt show on the no show....or not very well....what i notice more is on occasion it appears green in some scenes.....at other times it would be unnoticeable.....maybe it isnt a dead pixel.....mearly a faulty one?

Ad

5. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Buns,

I know what you mean...I also have 2 of those.

They are not a problem, since they can hardly be seen with the "black screen" ON and are virtually not noticible with normal viewing images displayed. That's why I didn't even refered to them in the previous post. I would definitely not have raised an issue with the sellers if it were only for those 2.

The other one I'm talking about is really distracting, especially when the material displayed includes black in that area.

I really do not know why this difference exists: 2 of the faulty pixels just let a very, very small ammount of light pass, while the third one is like a hole in the picture.

I always thought defective pixels just came in 2 flavours: "Stucked-Open" and Stucked-Closed".

Comments anyone?