1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on RPTV's

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tenaka, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Tenaka

Tenaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some advice. Looking to buy my first 42" TV.

I was thinking of the Sony KF42SX300 (can't see any reviews) which I can get for £1,899.99 including the nice stand.

Is this considered to be the best rear projection TV around at the minute?

Any advice very much appreciated.

Ten

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No, the Toshiba WH36P range are, or the Sony 51-PX3.

3. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I must disagree has being an ex-owner of the Toshiba WH36 series any if wish to run a search on this forum against WH36 you will find many uhappy people
    with the WH36 the largest problem is convergance
    a problem that Toshiba is unable to resolved
    convergance will not be an issue with the 42sx300 as it a lcd opposed to CRT

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Convergency problems are "not" manufacturer specific problems but part of CRT technology and it's all a calibration task everyone has to do in the servicemenu if they do get a out of convergence set delivered.

You can count endless points for not buying a LCD rear projection TV, one is all pixels you will notice one day, the other thing is really bad blacks, it's like greyish making the picture not natural.

Only good thing with LCD is geometry, you don't need to fiddle around with that or convergence for that matter.

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The decision is easy..

1. If you don't mind tweaking, then WH36 is an excellent set that will not be bettered when fettled..
    2. If you don't like tweaking and can't spot the flaws in the LCD picture, then get the LCD... and hope you never notice the black levels/artefacts/colours
    3. If you don't like tweaking, and are fussy about Picture Quality, then your stuffed :)

6. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    demon,
    can you give everyone an approx numbers of hours for "tweaking" I recently read a report from "lizzard" that he/she as spent more time tweaking the toshiba as oppose to watching it

7. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a Thomson 40KW613, the problems it had sound similar to those the
    Toshiba set seems to have.
    You get it delivered and the convergence will almost 100% be out because of the movement/rattling in the van. Mine also had the mechanical focus out on
    one side (too blue).
    Thomson recommend a engineer is present the first time ANY RPTV is set up
    in it's new environment.
    So i got an engineer to come out he did the mechanical focus, the service level convergence (time about 40mins)
    After this i never had to touch anything again,
    picture is excellent, very crisp, bright colours and the 100hz 'HIPIX' mode
    which is progressive scan plus a line doubler really does it for me as i can compare it to progressive scan and it's slightly superior.

LCD RPTV is in my opinion a taste thing if you think that the picture they give is really good ( i think it looks good but not better as CRT RPTVs and it's far more expensive) and don't mind the less than good black-levels then go for it,
    at least you won't have to tweak anything as geometry and convergence
    will always be perfect.

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have read on here that the new Sony KF42SX300 has a picture motion problem every 30 seconds.

9. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Vinny41..

It difficult to answer..

Assuming you let the TV acclimatise for a couple of weeks - 1 amonth, then ensure the TV has been on for 2 hours before tweaking..
    1. Set the TVup using AVIA (1 hour max... usually about 20 mins).. this is vital, its no good doing the convergence etc, then going back and increasing the brightness..
    2. If you are lucky, the focus will be spot on from the factory, so you should only really do service level convergence.. leave it another week, and re-do it necessary.. the problem most people have is they keep adjusting it every day for the first few weeks, and the set is still settling in... which is why it keeps changing.. but most report that it settles down.. which is why if you leave it a week between tweaks, you are less likely to have to repeat.. 1 hour should be enough for 2 convergence sessions.
    3. If you need the focus doing, then thats a 2-3 hour job, with convergence needing re-doing..

so Worst case, with a degree of self restraint to stop yourself tweaking it every 5 minutes, 5 hours would be the worst case, and this would be spread over several weeks.. if you are lucky, then 2 hours.. remembering that any TV (LCD/CRT/DLP) should have at least 1 hour spent with VIDEO ESSENTIALS/AVIA to set it up..

Just look at all the threads about the 36PD30 and 36ZP38 CRT's and how many people have had multiple returns due to geometry, etc.. this must waste them days of time and lots of anguish.. at least with an RPTV (most Sony / all Toshibas) you can correct virtually any fault yourself, and can adjust it to your standards...

LCD's etc have no tweaking time, because their is nothing to tweak.. (except setting them up using VIDEO ESSENTIALS/AVIA) but then the downside is you are stuck with the limitations of the technology which to some people are unforgiveable, and to some unnoticeable..

I have to say that pyschologically, its nice to have tweaked a set yourself, you know its as good as it can be, and this reassures you to leave it alone and stop questioning all the artefacts that sky throws at you etc as being a fault with the set...

each to their own...

10. pne

pne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

11. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well I recently viewed a Sony RPTV and I wouldn't swap it for my 3 year old Tosh WH08 RPTV even if it was costing £1000 let alone £1800.

Initially I thought, great ! nice small enclosure so I can start storing my kit under it, something I can't do with my Tosh, but after looking at the picture it didn't impress me as a unit that in theory has technology 3 years fresher than my current one.

Seems they have spent more money squeezing it into a tighter chassis to compete with Plasma/LCD and priced it to make a wad of cash. A modern 40" Toshiba RPTV wipes the floor with it in PQ terms and can be had for under £900