Advice on room layout

MassiveJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for poor quality pictures they were pulled from rightmove.
We are hopefully completing on this property next week.
One of my main priorities will be the living room.
I will have access from floor above to run cabling in the ceiling to make life easier.

My current setup is a 65" OLED TV with 5.1 system, my front speakers are B&W DM603 S3s with matching centre, so they are quite deep.
I did have a floating wall which was removed for sale of current house.
I don't want full on batcave (or even part batcave tbh) I want a normal living room that is centred around the TV, but the L shape is giving me a headache.
according to rightmove the room is apparently 5.2 x 5.2m.
The wall to the right of the TV has 2 very big windows on it, and there is only about 5cm of wall between the window and the wall with the TV on it, as my first thought was to build a false wall there and hide all the Av stuff(speakers included) behind that.
But I'm not even sure that is the best wall to have the TV on yet.

What do you think would be the best way to lay this room out and make best use of it.

Attachments

• 38700_100953071028_IMG_07_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    38700_100953071028_IMG_07_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 38700_100953071028_IMG_02_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    38700_100953071028_IMG_02_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 83
Is there a floorplan on Rightmove Jim?
I think they have them for most listings.

yeh this is the floorplan (although obviously not to scale)

Attachments

• floorplan.PNG
    floorplan.PNG
    156.2 KB · Views: 71
I see what you mean about the L shape, it's not a huge "L" but it's a tricky shape.
It probably comes down to if you're prepared to do a bit of structural alteration or not.

If you are, I'd be tempted to build a wall across that alcove bit, possibly with storage, to give you a flat wall opposite the windows, with your sofa/seating on the windowed wall.

Another option requiring no alterations would be sofa on the wall with the door in it (depending on if there's room for one)

A couple more questions: Are you wall mounting the TV?
How much furniture is going in?

Last edited:
Boxing in the alcove, and housing all AV gear, and then TV on the wall opposite the windows I guess. You loose a lot of space though. Or TV on the same wall as the door although it wouldn’t be centred.

Boxing in the alcove, and housing all AV gear, and then TV on the wall opposite the windows I guess.

That's probably the ideal setup for creating a square room, but as you say, it does waste a fair bit of space. I didn't notice how deep that alcove is until I looked at one of the photos more closely.

You could offset the loss of space by building storage into the new wall section though, above and below where the edges of the TV are.

Something like this rough sketch
idea.JPG

I had thought about boxing in the alcove bit but as you guys have quite rightly said I will lose a lot of space with it being so deep.
I think the sun sets on the front of the house (will know for sure once we are in) so I thought having the TV opposite the 2 very large windows will make TV viewing a PITA.

Furniture wise hasn't been finalised, but I imagine a couple of sofas a quite large footstool/poof, a few small tables, TV unit, maybe a sideboard/ shelving unit and a couple of lamps

TV is likely to be wall mounted in a floating wall so that I can flush mount it to the wall (that is what i did in current house)
I currently have a wide TV unit that houses an xbox, av receiver centre speaker and media PC, with a spare cupboard on one side that currently has a PS4 on loan from a mate in it (door open when it use though)
there will be 5.1 surround for sure and I am 90% leaning towards a 7.1 setup, front speakers are B&W DM602 S3 on speaker stands, centre speaker is LCR600 (I think) so the fronts are quite big, I have looked at getting smaller speakers but hadn't got very deep into my research.

This room was originally a garage so was square, when the previous owners converted it they extended the utility room and that is what the square in the corner is.

One requirement is that the TV will absolutely have to be centred on the sofa, I refuse to have a weird layout where I have to crane or twist my neck to watch TV when it is the main use of the room.
the 2nd sofa will likely sit sideways to the TV though.

Is the utility room going to be used much or could it be "de-extended"? :p
It would mean structural work (knocking down and rebuilding a wall) but would give you the ideal room shape.

I think (initially at least) making significant structural changes is out of the question.
We won't have serious money available now for at least a couple of years.

The only other option I can think of without making any alterations is to put a small sofa (or just an armchair as it would be the main listening position) on the wall with the door with the TV opposite.

Or... a large L shaped sofa spanning the wall with the door in it and the alcove

2sofas.jpg
lsofa.jpg

When I moved into my new place, I just got the sofa in and mocked up an actual size TV screen from a large sheet of cardboard. That way I could just move it from wall to wall and attach with drawing pins while I worked out the best position.

The only other option I can think of without making any alterations is to put a small sofa (or just an armchair as it would be the main listening position) on the wall with the door with the TV opposite.

Or... a large L shaped sofa spanning the wall with the door in it and the alcove

View attachment 1549119View attachment 1549120

When I moved into my new place, I just got the sofa in and mocked up an actual size TV screen from a large sheet of cardboard. That way I could just move it from wall to wall and attach with drawing pins while I worked out the best position.
A cardboard template isn'ta bad shout actually.

I think 5m is a little too far away from the TV so I may end up with a sofa in the middle of the room with its back to the door.

.... I may end up with a sofa in the middle of the room with its back to the door.
Yep it's a decent sized room so you could get away with that.
You could even go up to 7.1 if you wanted a couple of speakers on the back wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom