• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on replacement motherboard

philip5660

My Abit AnM2HD has just died in my HTPC and I was wondering what to replace it with.
I don't need any onboard HDMI or anything like that as I have an ATI 5670.
Also have DDR2 RAM (4GB) + AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4GHz) Socket AM2.
I have a peak TV card (which I'll probably change as the tuner isn't very sensitive:().
Something with plenty of slots and space (I ran into issues previously with my graphics card and tv card not having enough room to live side by side)

Oh and I'll be running windows 7

Your recommendations please...............

Berties

Banned
yeah know what you mean MATX is a bit cramped, upgrading my HTPC which has MATX and gone to full size ATX (putting whopping great hsf)

what about Gigabyte MA770-ES3 AMD 770 ?

Berties

Banned
Do you think CPU and memory was damaged in the process? If so expensive to find out, and could damage your new motherboard.
Sure it's not the PSU?

philip5660

I have a spare PSU which I tried to no avail.
The lights come on and the fans spin but there is no other life i.e. there is no video output either from the onboard HDMI or the ATI 5670 which i added.
I removed each component in turn so that it was just the bare mobo and still on powering up there is no video output - I expect there should have at least been warning beeps when i tried to boot without RAM in place.

The problems started last week when i got a message from the bios saying I had changed the CPU and needed to update my bios - loading bios defaults fixed it but since then it's been freezing and generally ballsing up, then after a freeze yesterday it wouldn't boot (no video output).
There's always a chance the CPU is dodgy but I guess i just have to take the risk.....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom