Advice on replacement amp for surround sound

dangermouse99

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have had my Sony amp for around eight years and it's not working any more - it's the STR-DE585
(Superfi - DISCONTINUED SONY STRDE585 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER)
...Sony say it would cost £270 to repair. As I am a real novice in this area I would be really grateful for some advice for a replacement. My setup: a Samsung smart tv, connected to a Pioneer hard drive recorder. I have Mordaunt Short speakers, which the old Sony amp used to be hooked up to: a centre one, two at the front left & right, two at the back l & r. Plus a subwoofer.
I am after a similar model. What is the difference between 5.1 and 7.1? Does Amazon offer good models or are there other shops you reccommend?
Thanks very much!

I'd suggest the Denon AVR2113 as a replacement. This will cost you about £270:

Denon AVR2113 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

If wanting to upgrade a little rather than simply procur a replacement then I'd also suggest the Denon AVR2313 or a Yamaha RXV673, the AVR2313 being especially good value for money:

Denon AVR2313 AV receiver in a black finish with free UK delivery from Hifi Gear

Yamaha RX-V673

A 7.1 receiver has the added amplification to power an extra pair of back speakers with plus the onboard processing to facilitate the reproduction of 7.1 surround. A 7.1 AV receiver can still be used to power a 5.1 setup and most AV receivers are now 7.1 anyway.

Last edited:
My immediate reaction to that one is that the price is suspiciously low.
As dante01 says Denon and Yamaha are well known makes, as are Onkyo and others.
Your present speakers should be OK, and you could add another pair for Rears or High Fronts.
People can only report their experience, and mine has been excellent with Onkyos.
All the makers have web sites so the best thing to do is to use them and compare specifications.

Thanks so much - really appreciate it.

The Denon looks very good.

If you have a moment, what do you make of this Sony...?

Sony STR-DH520 7.1 Channel DH Series 3D A/V Receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thanks again.

The STRDH820 would be a better option and better value for money too:

Sony STRDH820 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

You'd get the next model up from the 520 for less than the price as shown via the link you provided.

I'd personally suggest warmer sounding amps than those provided by Pioneer, Onkyo or Sony with your current speakers. A Yamaha or Denon AV receiver would better suit those speakers in my opinion.

There is a cheaper Denon option available, that being the AVR1713. The AVR1713 incorporates many of the features found onboard the AVR2113, but it is only 5.1 and lacks video processing. You can get an AVR1713 for about £230, but they are becoming scarce now as stocks run low in readiness for its replacement:

http://www.zinc-ht.com/denon-avr-1713-av-receiver

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks so much to dante01 & logiciel - your advice is really appreciated. You've been very kind.

Always a pleasure.:blush:
That's another Sony at a good price, so I'd better replace "suspiciously" with impressively.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom