Advice on rear speaker placement needed (pics included)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Gavin C1, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Gavin C1

Gavin C1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hello :)

I've mounted my KEF TDM 34DS's on my rear wall, but am wondering if their placement could be better. I've taken photo's of how they are at the minute. The top of the speakers are about half a metre from the celing.

The usual seating position is about in the middle of the two rear speakers. (about the centre of the right side of the sofa)

[​IMG]

Please excuse the mess, I'm still in the process of setting things up and getting wiring sorted so there are wires and general mess everywhere :rolleyes:

Here is another picture to maybe give you a better perspective of height of the speakers. Again, excuse the mess.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking :)

2. RossFlet

RossFlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Now, I'm no HT expert but it seems to me that rear speakers are supposed to be that. Behind you, not above you. What you've not told us is how long the room is, viewing distance to the tele etc. IMHO those rears look fairly big and rather an overkill if you're sitting too close to them.

If it's possible I would shuffle the couch forward OR do that when you are using the rear speakers and lower them. At the moment they are firing over your head and I can imagine would give all sorts of strange reflections such as the surround sound image could become quite confused. Toeing them in (for which you would need brackets) might help as well.

I think you'll get more replies if you tell us more. Show us a photo of the other end of the room - we're not concerned about the mess :D and provide some room dimensions, layout etc.

Ross

3. Gavin C1

Gavin C1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28

I'll get some more pics up of the other side of the room. The room is pretty much tiny. I'll get some measurements now too. I'm sure I read somewhere that rear speakers should be as high up the wall as possible, but a certain distance from the celing. Not quite sure though.... hence this thread:D

Thanks again!

4. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    I think they are supposed to go on the side walls. There is enough room on the right of your picture under the light, but the other one has a problem with the shelf. You may be able to get away with them at different heights if the left rear right speaker went on the top shelf. Guess it's worth spinning a dvd and giving it a whirl. Trust your ears luke (did he say that in Star Wars?). You do need a bigger gadget table though : )

Graham

5. Gavin C1

Gavin C1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If they are going on the side walls I assume they will be going high up?
    There is (very tight fit) enough room betweek the top of the DVDs on the top shelf and the celing for one of the speakers to go.

I've drawn up a layout of my room on Sketch Up.

Very basic, and it's obviously missing a few things :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of the other side of the room. Again, the wires are all over the place, and will be until I get the Onkyo 705 I'm waiting for. Then I'll tidy everything up and get it all neat and nice looking. Incase you're wondering, the speakers and subwoofer are on chopping boards so that the spikes don't damage the floor. The floor in this room is mega wonky so it's handy to use the spikes to level the tall speakers out.

Oh and there's a window in that wall there so the big black curtains pretty much stop all light from getting through. The walls havnt been painted since we moved into the house (new build) but will be getting done some time in the next few months, so they are a plasterish colour at the minute :)

[​IMG]

6. Gavin C1

Gavin C1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    haha yeah. As I said, the room is an absolute tip at the minute. I'm still waiting on my Onkyo reciever so until I get that I'm not going to bother tidying any wires away. I only got my Harmony 1000 yesterday so I still have all my remotes and the rack on the top of that rack just while i get to grips with the harmony. All the other crap will be cleared off there to make room for my DiNovo Edge which is coming some time this week :thumbsup:

So all I'll have on it when I get round to sorting it out is the Harmony 1000, DiNovo Edge and maybe a 360 pad and PS3 pad :)

7. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    I'd suggest centring the sofa and tilting the rear speakers down and in. You may also find that mounting them on the side wall assists with the imaging, but it's hard to know; can you mock it up?

8. Gavin C1

Gavin C1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I don't sit in the centre of the sofa, that's why it's not centred. I sit on the left side so I'm in the middle of the two speakers and also the TV. I rarely have more than two people sitting here so it's ok for that too. Usually me and the girlfriend sitting at the end :)

They are pretty heavy speakers, and the mounts involve four plugs and screws going into the wall so I'd rather not mess around too much.

I think I might lower them closer to head height and see if that helps.

Cheers:cool:

9. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    You do need to aim that at your ears. lowering them won't gain much.

You'll probably need to build a wooden wedge of the right shape, then mount the wedge to the wall and the speakers to the wedge. Alternatively, a solid metal bracket could be bolted to the wall and speakers. (My rear speakers are 7.3kg each, and are attached via supplied metal brackets to the ceiling with 4 bolts).