Advice on real nice home theater for the value

Trunkle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am putting together a home theater. As you can see from my TV choice, my goal is a nice system with a focus on good value over the "top of the line". I am not sure if I want a home theater or or build from an AV and speakers.

Little background...

TV: Vizio 70-inch Razor LED TV - M701D-A3R M-Series ( Vizio 70-inch Razor LED TV - M701D-A3R M-Series 1080p 240Hz Smart 3D HDTV with 8 Pairs of 3D Glasses : TVs - LED, LCD, Internet TVs & Accessories | Dell )
TV-ROOM: 14' X 22' (4.3M X 6.7M) - TV on 22' wall.

Wants:
Be able to integrate with my PC for surround sound gaming
Be able to integrate with I-phone for music (bonus)
Need Blue Ray
Value for the $
Theater like experience.
Rather not spend more than $500 but there is a bit of wiggle room.
A way to limit the sub's vibrational from going downward :D (lower unit neighbors are super sensitive)

Not sure about and need some advice:
Should I be looking at 5.1 or 7.1?
Should I be looking at a home theater kit or a build from scratch in order to get the best value for the money?
Is there a brand known for being a great value for the money?

If anyone has some suggestions on a the best value for a real nice audio setup I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:
You appear to be based in the US and this is mainly a UK site, so knowledge of prices where you are is limited. If value is your priority then look for something a bit behind the curve on technology, or consider buying second hand. 5.1 will give better value than 7.1 as you save the price of 2 boxes.

‘Should I be looking at a home theater kit or a build from scratch in order to get the best value for the money?'

‘Theater like experience'

Tricky set of requirements to balance out – very few ‘Theatre's' would install a budget ‘all-in-one' Surround_system with inbuilt Blu-ray_player, Wi-Fi, Network Streaming etc.! though those systems will give you the most ‘value' for your $$$.

For $500 an ‘all-in-one' systems from any of the big electronics manufacturers is going to be the way to go – as per previous post this is a predominantly UK site so reviewed kit will be slightly different from the US variants.

AVForums Hardware Reviews | AVForums.com - UK Online

Joe

Last edited:
You have to love the internet right? The whole world is out your back door. I missed the fact that this is a British forum. I appreciate the reply anyway!

Just from browsing the internet I can see your point about all-in-ones being more affordable with a trade off of configuration.

I have ready that speakers are where you should spend most of your money and get an AV that will work for those speakers.

I may get some Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. Then find a used or prevision generation AV with out some of the new bells and whistles that drive up the cost.

For example give up the blue tooth synch with Iphone etc,

I would really like to find an AV that has a blue ray combo and can support 3D pass through and 24p. Being able to connect to my PC and support surround sound gaming would be another perk.

As you have alluded to getting such an AV + the speakers above, and still get under my budget is proving to be a challenge. I was eying up the Sony STR-DN840 but it takes me $250 over budget and I don't even think it has built in blue ray.

Last edited:
24p support is a relatively new feature on entry level kit.

What is the seating/room layout you are working with?

Joe

I have one central 4 person sofa that will be 3.5M from the display.

A 2 person love seat will sit to the right on slight angle facing screen. Estimate closest spot will be about 1.5M from the display.

A reclining chair will be to left of sofa and a couple bean bag "chairs" will be thrown on floor for overflow.

I figured the 24p would be tough to get at this budget but it sure would be nice... :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom