Advice on purchase sought..

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by webbyfoot, Oct 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. webbyfoot

webbyfoot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wanna buy a hard drive digital recorder for the 'buffer' facility - ie one that records continuously so when I miss the beginning of something I want to record (as I invariably do) - I won't!

Want to treat myself for christmas, but how cheap can I do this?

Needs to be a TV quality recording - so RGB minimum out, (would prefer DV out or networkable to my PC but I expect those features are out of my price range!)

Hard drive size not important.

Seen the Pace Twin cheap but it doesn't offer the 'buffering'.

Would a second hand TiVO do the trick? Can they be used as DVR without their subscription, and do they 'buffer'?

All suggestions and insights as to what might be avaialble coming up to Christmas greatfully received.

(I don't really want to spend much more than £200 otherwise I'll have to postpone to next Christmas :( )

Thanks

John

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Tivo's buffer upto 30 minutes of video, up until you last changed channels.

They will work as a dumb DVR without the subscribtion, even allowing for manual timed recordings.

I bought my first Tivo about 2yrs ago with subscription, and after finding out I could use one without subsciption, I deceided to buy a second one. (didn't want to pay 2x subsciptions).

Even though it worked perfectly well unsubbed, a few months later I decide to take out the second subcription, because I missed the functionality that I had on the first one.

Tivo's are so much more than just DVRs. I don't mind paying £10 a month on each for the sheer convienience it gives me.

You can get them on ebay for £200 - £250 (more if it has a lifetime subscription on the machine).

Even though Sky+ and Pace Twin may offer slightly better pic quality (they're recording digital streams), Tivo's offer far more funcionality and better reliability. I haven't had one single missed recording in two years.

Can't recommend Tivo highly enough.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    DITTO!

TiVo is the origional and the best!
    If you can get one within your budget, then do, you will not regret it. As for the subscription it really does add a lot to the unit and you can start by paying £10 a month and then at a later date pay £200 for a lifetime sub (or go straight to the lifetime sub if funds allow). Sounds a lot but after 20 months TiVo is free for the rest of the life of the box.

Mark.