Question Advice on projector for largest image with 2.5m throw distance.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It's been a while since I've been on here.

I'm embarking on getting a PJ and Screen in my living room now, I currently have a 50" Plasma screen and I'm going to be building a floating wall that will house an electric projector screen (pelmet style at the top).

I need some help regarding what sort of screen size and PJ I should be looking at. I will have a throw distance of around 2.5m and am looking for the biggest picture possible. It's a long living\dining room approx 3x6m (I've given 2.5m as throw distance to account for the PJ's distance away from wall). I was originally looking at the Benq W2000 and Optoma HD27 but neither seem to be particularly short throw so according to various calculators I'm only looking at about a 80" diagonal screen image where I was actually hoping for closer too 100".

Is there any reccomendation as to what screen size I should be looking at anyway for my viewing distance of about 2.5m?

To fit with the TV furniture and floating wall I can have an area of 2.4m wide that I can project onto and ideally would like to project an image that wide. With my viewing distance of roughly 2.5 meters, what sort of screen size should I be looking at and which PJ can fill those needs in the price bracket of the Benq W2000 that will still give the best picture quality available?

Thanks,

Thanks for this.

Yes I have factored that in and it gives me an approximate 2m wide viewing screen.

On that site you linked to above, when I raise and lower the zoom it doesn't change the figures below. However going on that is it safe to assume that the W2000 will be good enough? Are there any other PJ's I should take into account? I've been reading that the BenQ's tend to have noisy fans.

I've been reading that the BenQ's tend to have noisy fans.

Since you're projecting at only 2,5 m there will be plenty of light available, and so the W2000 can easily be put in Economic mode, the fans are pretty quiet then (not all of them are running).

Yes!

w2000_calculation.jpg

Great thanks for helping.

My next question is, will I see pixels with a screen that size from my viewing distance? Or is that screen size going to be too big?

Are there any other PJ's I should take into account?
I don't have any experience of the Benq but Projector central lists the audible noise in eco mode as 27dB which is about standard for a DLP of this size. My old DLP was about the same in eco and although you could hear it in quiet scenes, it was not distracting. If you want to get any quieter than that you would need to get a larger projector. For the same price as the Benq I'm not sure if there are many new models that would be much quieter, but a second hand JVC or Sony LCoS would be in budget but they are much bigger.

My next question is, will I see pixels with a screen that size from my viewing distance? Or is that screen size going to be too big?

92in at 2.5m seems a bit too big to me. I think the optimal viewing distance for HD is 1.5x screen width, so that would be just over 3m. Best thing to do is set up the projector before you get the screen, project it onto the wall and then make the decision.

My Front row is at 2.7metres from a 106" screen, I like it for immersion and 3D is much better when your up near the screen

Yeah, it must be said that seating distance if very much down to personal preference. Think about where you like to sit when you go to the cinema! Regarding pixel structure, you won't see any from 2.5m on a 92in screen.

Just had the tape measure out. The room is 3.3 wall to wall. Taking into account the depth of the PJ that leaves 300 throw onto a bare wall. Taking into account the screen needs to drop in front of TV on the wall already that should leave a throw of 2.7m. Based on where we sit on the sofa we will have the same about 2.7m viewing distance. I think a 2m wide screen should do the trick for us.

As has been suggested though, I'll get the PJ first then the screen just to be extra sure. Looking to start the floating wall\pelmet build in the next few weeks. Will start another thread on that though in the build section.

One more question though, are the cheaper screens on eBay and Amazon worth it? Or it is better to stick to the celexon, sapphire brands?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom