Advice on pre-built gaming PC

Chunders

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm seriously hankering after a new pre-built gaming PC. I bought my current PC from Overclockers UK in 2008 with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz @ 3.00GHz
Asus P5Q-E Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Corsair XSM2 4GB (2x2) DDR2 6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel
Gainward ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)

I've since added an OCZ 60GB SSD run the OS. I've been very happy with this build and it's only recently been noticeably dragging it's heels running games at 1920x1080, well maybe the last year or so.

Since I've been happy with the system Overclockers was my first port of call when looking for pastures new, so to speak. After a bit of research, mostly reading the many wise words posted in this forum I decided that the Titan 8700i Pulse "Titan 8700i Pulse" Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz @ 4.40GHz DDR3 Ivybridge System [] looked my best bet with the following specs:

- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz @ 4.40GHz Ivybridge CPU
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Zalman CNPS14X CPU Cooler
- Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 600w PSU
- RAM: Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: 500GB HDD
- Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 SILENT 512MB (replace with 7950)

I thought as options I'd choose the Sapphire HD 7950 OC 3072MB GDDR5 and add in an Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD and I'd be good to go. Costing £912.

What do you reckon? Anything you'd suggest to improve on my bang per buck, £900-950 is my limit and I'll need to buy an OS. I'm thinking of buying in the next few days since this is part of their special offers week but of course I'm happy to wait a month or so if I can get a better deal.

My monitor limits me to 1920x1080 resolution so d'you think the 7950 is the best option, or maybe the Geforce GTX 660 TI 2048MB GDDR5? What about the motherboard and CPU? Good enough for the job? Overkill? I want to futureproof this machine to last another 3 or 4 years at least. Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Looks to be a solid rig and yeah, 7950 is the better card of the two.

If i was wanting to keep it for 3-4 years id be putting a 680 in it..:)

What kind of PSU is: - Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 600w PSU

Sounds like it fell off of the back of a van!

Dell boy style, switch it on turns off xD

:eek: You've never heard of them?

They're an old school company who have pushed the PSU market time and time again. OCZ bought them 5 years ago but they still trade under their original name.

Thanks guys, I think the 7950 is the best choice I can afford, I'd love a 680 but I can't really justify a further £150.

You had me worried about the PSU there but Sniper Ash6 seems to have put my mind at rest, 600W is enough for a 7950 right?

Thanks guys, I think the 7950 is the best choice I can afford, I'd love a 680 but I can't really justify a further £150.

You had me worried about the PSU there but Sniper Ash6 seems to have put my mind at rest, 600W is enough for a 7950 right?
600w is easy enough,thats what ive got for my gtx 580..:)

Great, I think I'm going to order it tonight. I'm going to add a wi-fi card and maybe a sound card (since I play most of my music through PC and amp) so the order will be just under £1000 all told. Getting a bit excited just thinking about the smoothness to come. Sad get. :)

Great, I think I'm going to order it tonight. I'm going to add a wi-fi card and maybe a sound card (since I play most of my music through PC and amp) so the order will be just under £1000 all told. Getting a bit excited just thinking about the smoothness to come. Sad get. :)
Waiting for something new is always exciting :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom