1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Len, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok looks like I'm going for the plunge.

Probably the Panny TH42PW4B

But wall bracket or stand?

What connections to use?

It's going to be used only as a Cinema screen, though I might be persuaded to connect a computer or Games machine at a later date. So what's best lead to use to connect it to my DVD?

Do I need a better DVD player than the one I have at the moment
    Sony dvp-s335?

Anyone recommend a supplier?

IN short whatever help/ advice.... Bring it on.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One of the few plasmas I would consider after what I have seen though you might be interested to know that the 5th Generation is coming out soon. Perhaps wait.

As for the connection component is the way to go. If you need or plan to change your DVD get one with progressive scan!

3. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stand or Brackets? Depends on how much room you have, where all your other kit is and so forth. I like wall mounts me, but then you have to consider how it'd look with all the connector cables dangling underneath. Either than, or you'll need to get some holes knocked in the wall. Gives you that bit of extra space too.

A stand on a table / cabinet can also look good, but you'll have to remember that this means that sticky fingers can touch it. (If you have young 'uns, then it MUST be out of reach as the screens can get very hot (40'C I'm told)).

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

4. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component certainly seems the way to go.... In which case which DVD player? There aren't that many that I have found with Progresive scan.... Pioneer 747 & above..... What about the Harmon Kardon DVD25? Any thoughts?

As for wall or stand..... Very good point about screen temp.... I have only seen basic stands used on most displays so wall would always be favourite.... Surprised no one has come up with a design of stand that holds the screen high and hides the cables.... Unless of course someone out there knows different.

5. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Well, I', in an awkward situation then! I have an 18 month old (and another on the way). I have cr*p plasterboard walls, so could not wall mount the plasma (I tried!), so now have it sitting on a pedestal stand on a unit housing the AV gear. Didn't have any choice! Still looks the business though

For a reasonable value progressive scan DVD player, I got a Tosh SD510e. Connected via component to my Panny TH42PW4, it really looks stunning. On this player, PS only works with NTSC material unfortunately (as do most), but even interlaced PAL is stunning. I watched some of the R2 (PAL) version of Shrek yesterday. Jaw-dropping is a good description...

Currently, I don't use the Plasma for all viewing, but even after a 2 1/2 hour film the other night, I didn't notice the screen being that hot. Warm is what I would call it. Certainly nowhere near 40 deg. anyway.

6. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the plasterboard walls that were worrying me too. Sometimes they won't even hold a roll of Andrex.

I'll check the player out too.

Happy with the panny then?

7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the usual crappy plasterboard-clad walls as found in most new houses nowadays, but despite this you can mount to an outer wall in the following way (if you need to mount on an internal stud wall don't do it unless you have sturdy stud wall framework to mount to).

I had the usual plasterboard 'glued' onto the blockwork, so there was plasterboard, then a gap, then the blocks.

This is what you can do:
    1) I drill a big hole (about 20mm diam) in the plasterboard for each bolt so you can get to the blocks.
    2) Drill a hole in the block for the wall bolt (the ones which leave a threaded rod sticking out of the wall).
    3) Fix the wall bolt into the block and tighten.
    4) Cut a small length of metal tubing to go over the thread of the bolt that is now sticking out of the wall - this is so the bracket can be tightened against the bolts and not the plasterboard.
    5) Mount your wall bracket over the threaded rods and attach washers and nuts.
    6) Cut off any excess thread from the wall bolts.

I used 3 bolts along the top and three along the bottom, and while I was at it I cut a channel in the plasterboard for all the wires and a wall-mounted centre speaker. It's not a 5 minute job but the end result is fantastic and well worth it.

8. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear that the Plasma's don't get too hot then.

40'C was quoted to me by my man at Pana NZ, but I guess that's a maximum rather than an average. I'm told that the vents can put out fairly hot air, but I wouldn't hazard a guess as to the tempeture.

Cables are always the bug of setting up HC. None of the pretty brochures show a snake nest of them leading to all those trendy speaker stands in the middle of the floor do they.

When my wife and I build our next house, it's going to be cabled up to the max. CAT-5, speaker cable, component video to every room in hidden patch panels. It's the only way to go. I'm going to try to convince she that a dedicated HT room is a good thing too.

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

9. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi len

if your looking around for decent stands try http://www.unicol.com/ theres quite a range at really decent prices

cheers
    lee

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Reiner

Do you know what the improvements are likely to be in the 5th generation? I have heard a 1024x768 pixel screen may be next, but would this actually improve picture quality? It seems just about flawless now.

11. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The 5th generation 42" consists of SD and HD (1024x768) models. Unfortunately the new HD model also includes fans, unlike the SD and current 42".

I own the current '4' model and think it is superb. I only buy Region 1 DVD and so the resolution of the current and SD panels at 852x480 is perfect for me (native resolution for R1 DVD). This means no requirements for scaling from the panel so no chance of introducing artifacts through additional processing.

Due to the lack of HD source material in the UK, unless you are going to use the panel with your PC I am not convinced that the extra resolution will be of much benefit. Pick up the '4' model while there are good deals to be had...

12. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    between the TH42PW4B and the TH42PWD4??

13. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip Lee

14. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have heard a 1024x768 pixel screen may be next, but would this actually improve picture quality?

Not so much improvement in quality but perhaps interesting for those who require a higher resolution for PC applications and similar.
    Well, in a way a higher resolution does actually improve the picture quality.

IMHO the current Panasonic 50" (PW4) is 1024x768 but it looks terrible compared to the 37" and 42" version, even with a HDTV source.

[Difference] between the TH42PW4B and the TH42PWD4??

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44829