1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on pj positioning and setup, please?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by elementalist2, Apr 4, 2005.

1. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there - I'm a pj noobie, but I mananged to get my HT510 ceiling mounted. I'm a little worried, though, that I may have not positioned it 'optimally', I'd appreciate any opinions, please? It's centred horizontally and the ceiling mount puts it vertically level with the top of the screen (which is 230cm by 130cm approx). The screen is a DIY MDF and light grey screen goo, in case that makes a diff :)

1) Should I position it where it needs to do least or most or middle zooming to get the screen size I like? What effect will zooming have on the quality?

2) Should I position it as low as possible (a ceiling mount 'extension') to get it near centre, or does this not have much effect given modern keystone abilities.

3) Should I put lens-shift at a middle position (I'm pretty sure I should, but thought I'd add the q)

4) Any other basic things I should take into account?

Before I got the ceiling mount I had it absolutely centred horizontally and vertically and I don't think it looks 'as good' any more. Thanks lots for any advice, folks!

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You mention lens shift - if the unit does have optical lens shift then it should be a fairly quick task to line the pic up as you require. Though it's correct to use as little lens shift as required, the use of optical lens shift is much better than resorting to any digital correction.

You also mention zoom - again I presume you mean optical zoom - avoid digital zoom because again it degrades PQ. You should hopefully be able to fill your screen without resorting to min or max optical zoom... it's always handy to have optical zoom capability both ways so you can, if needed, adjust the pic size so it aligns to your black borders on different DVD's. I suppost the optimum is 50% zoom but as long as you are not max'ing or min'ing it should be OK.

Fundamentally the optimum is to get a square pic to your required size without any digital (ie keystone) correction...PJ