advice on pioneer 757 vs tosh 510e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robbster, Aug 19, 2003.

1. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

Does anyone know what the picture quality on the pioneer 757 is like compared to my toshiba 510e? Im looking to upgrade my player as I have just recently got a plasma TV. Also the PAL progressive will come in handy.
    I just dont want to spend a lot of money to find that the picture quality is only on par with my tosh.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Rob

2. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    anyone??

Cheers

Rob

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Robster where are you located as i live in Derby and have a 757ai, if you are close i could bring it round so you can view for yourself.

4. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi inzaman

Thanks for the offer but i live in leeds unfortunately so its quite a far distance? What are your experiences with the 757 and what model did you have before that?

Cheers

Rob

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Rob, i had a pioneer 636 which was a very good player but due to the purchase of a tv with component i wanted a dvd player that had component outs. I first went for the Denon 2800 mk2 as it was a good price but kept this for about 3 days due to several problems. If you do a search on this forum you will see what type of problems you get with this player. I took this back to the dealer and got the 757 which i have had now for about 4 months and i would not swap it for any other player at this moment in time. It has played everything i have put in it, including pc made vcds downloaded from the net etc. also plays SACD etc etc. It just isnt a fussy player at all. The picture quality through components and progressive really is excellent a good 3d/deep look to the picture, every bit as good as the Denon. The menu also has options to optimise it for the tv you have i.e you can select plasma on the menu and it will be optimized for a plasma alternatively you can manually set it up. The sound quality is also excellent but i dont think that it is as weighty as the denon, i.e when i first connected the denon to my amp i had to turn my sub right down but when i connected the 757 i had to turn it back up to the level that it was at when the 636 was connected. This is not an issue more of an observation but probably down to the fact that the denon is built like a tank.

6. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the info inzaman:smashin:

I'm gonna get hold of one to try first and then check out the quality. By the sounds of your verdict and reviews i've read it a deffinate buyer :)

Cheers

Rob

7. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    inzaman how much better is the 757ai than the 656?

I have the 656 and the picture is very good but is the 757ai worth the extra?

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    DTSrules if you are going to be using the progressive scan capabilities of the 757 then it is definitely worth the upgrade + the added advantage of the i link if you are planning on going down that route as well. If you are not going to use the progressive scan then it is not worth the additional money as the interlaced on the 656 is also very good

9. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 757ai and it is great.

but recent reviews of the Denon 2900 head to head with the 757ai in What Hi-fi proclaim its new video chip has slightly better video quality.

But it is so new it may not be available yet and retails for 50 pound more.

Unless you have a top tv with top cables you will probably not notice the difference.