1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on picture settings for 37PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kevin harrison, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just used my DVE disc on my 37PV500 and am a bit dissapointed with the picture it's given me.....

The picture looks dull and flat, if you see what I mean. I used the cinema setting and altered the settings on that, was that correct?

2. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I have taken advice for my new pv500 from some of the expert members and new screens should be run with low settings for the first 200 hrs. How long have you had your screen ?

I have set all to cinema mode with contrast, brightness and colour all set to around 5% just to be safe. Your eyes soon adjust. Only 170 hrs to go :-(

I think the pictures quality is great. Dont know if that helps.

3. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What changed your mind? I remember reading that the other day you were told by the Panasonic installer that you didn't need to run in your screen, and you had changed all your settings.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    It is beleived that the new screens don't need running in, but I think he is playing safe.
    Also they are most likely to go wrong in the first hundred hours, so there is no harm in being cautious.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

Yes it probably will if you are not used to a calibrated picture. I thought the results with DVE in cinema mode on my pe30 were a bit flat and lifeless when I first did it. Give it a few days to get used to and you will wounder how you ever manged to watch a program or movie any other way. :)

some things to remember. I have cut and pasted this from the Get your Vieras out for the lads thread. It may not all applie to your model plasma but could be helpfull. :)

Here is some advise from my limited wisdom in such matters

If you own a dvd player that has component out puts this is the best way to connect to the Viera. If not then RGB scart then Svideo then If you have no other option composite

Make sure your dvd player if using the scart connection is set to RGB and 16:9 wide mode (again if you have this option ) (also 16:9 wide with componenet, but if like my player in oreder for the componenet signal to be used you have to set the player to anything but RGB )

Decent leads are a good idear for connection to the Viera as well.

When you calibrate with Avai or Digital video essentials, do so in Cinema or normal mode . This is down to personal preference but I view in cinema mode.

I also keep the tv set to 16:9 wide mode all the time. Some people prefer auto mode which can cause a fish bowl type affect on non anamorphic pictures, some people choose to have it set to 4:3 and let the tv auto aspect change to 16:9 when needed.

Make sure that of you have sky or telewest or NTL that the set top box is also configured for 16:9 wide mode and RGB.

And.........................

Ok,
    The Viera plasma is a funny old beast. It can give CRT like images or a very poor picture.
    This depends on a number of things.
    How you set it up.
    What you are watching.
    what inputs you are using.
    if its been calibrated via a dvd calibration disc.
    if its been calibrated via a profesional I.S.F calibration.

There is no doubt in my mind that out of the box the Viera plasma does not look its best . The factory setting is dynamic mode . Not only does this give you to higher contrast level but also the colour seems too saturated in this mode. I personaly think this mode is only included to show of the plasma in the very bright enviroment of a TV show room like currys or dixons .
    The best thing to do out of the box is to set the plasma to normal or cinema and reduce all settings to around half way for the first 150-200 hours. This will again not make the plasma look its best, but it will allow the plasma to run in which also helps to protect against image retention and screen burn. Now dont get me wrong, Panasonic plasmas are about the best when it comes to being screen burn resistant, but it is always better to be safe than sorry .
    Another thing with the Viera is that it uses the PD30s CRT acuity chasis for tv viewing. The problem with this is that it can give slight patches of colour noise on low bit rate channels on sky. The best way to reduce this problem is to make sure sky is set to RGB and 16:9 wide mode. Also it is always best to connect with a decent fully wired RGB scart lead. THis in combination with proberly adjusted settings (sharpness ,contrast, brightness ect.) will improve the picture 100%.
    Conect the Viera to a DVD player or games consol and you dont seem to have the above problems. Connect via a decent set of componenet leads and the image quality on the Viera is hard to beat.

I must stress that I really do like my Viera plasma and I would not want to put anyone off of getting one. Once sorted with DVE or AVAI and properly set up it really is

I would also recomend a pro calibration if you can afford it as this will improve the picture beyond what you can do with the normal user settings.
    Any other specific questions I would be glad to help

6. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question again...

When I select RGB and alter picture settings all seems fine, when I go to component and do the same, the settings are identical to RGB and Vice Versa.

Help!!

7. garysevern

garysevern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The manual seems to indicate that you can have 4 DIFFERENT settings for EACH type of input. However, I'm finding that you can have 4 different settings FULL STOP. When I change say DYNAMIC mode on one i/p it gets changed on the others. Personally, I dont care. 4 settings is enough for me.
    Also, aren't the 4 settings just names and if you set them all to the same positions on the settings bars they will all look exactly the same :confused:
    I've got Contrast at around 50% and then all the settings below get gradually less with Sharpness at about 25%

8. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I have Component on Cinema, I could go Dynamic on RGB and change my settings that way.

Aren't the settings just names then?, as you can alter the picture settings to whatever you like then to be?

Do I make any sense??

Sorry Gary, just read your post...

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    I think the settings are more than just names...i.e. settings in the service menus that you can't access are involved. If you set cinema and dynamic the same on my screens they still look different

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    You can have one diferent setting for each INput.

AV1 Composite/RGB will allow you to choose between any of the four settings

Cinema/Auto/Normal/Dynamic. What ever one you choose though will be the same for composite and RGB.

The same goes for the other inputs.

AV4 for example is a shared input.... IT will give you componenet/Svideo and RGB.
    IF you choose cinema for componenet and then watch something in RGB the settings will be the same.