1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Philips 37PF9986/12

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by pacman, Nov 22, 2004.

1. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello to everyone on the forum.

I am trying to decide upon a 32" or 37" LCD TV. The philips 9986 seems to be a reasonable choice.

I have visited various dealers and have managed to view the 32" but no-one seems to have the 37" on display.

This is probably a stupid question but is the 37" as good as the 32"?

I estimate the viewing distance to be about 15 foot, so would the 37" be better than the 32"?

I would appreciate any help or comments,

Regards,

Peter.

2. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    yes of course the 37 would be better at 15ft, my 32 is great for anything up to 6ft.
    After that it starts to look less dramatic.

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are watching from 15ft then definitely the 37". I'm watching the 37" at only 9ft and it looks fine.

4. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your speedy replies!

Being new to the technology, the other question I was asking is this:

Is the 37" exactly the same as the 32" in terms of picture quality given the larger screen size. My lounge layout is such that the closest I would sit to the screen is 8ft and the farthest as previously stated - 15ft. Will the screen look as good at both of these distances?

I have been trying to find a retailer in Essex who has a 37" on display but no luck so far!

I would also like to know what is required to connect a computer to the screen.

Regards,

Peter.

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I considered both the 32 and the 37 (which have the same 1366x768 pixels). Obviously the 32 will seem slightly clearer close up (as would any smaller display). But for normal viewing both offer excellent quality. I am so glad I went for the 37 - you soon get used to the size and it is much more cinematic.

6. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your responses guys!

Anything you dislike about your screens?

Have you tried to connect a PC to them?

After reading the archive posts on the 37" I'm still debating whether to jump in!

Alan, did you purchase your screen recently and were there alternatives that you came pretty close to choosing?

I appreciate your advice as I am a complete novice and I am finding some of the technology difficult to get to grips with.

Thanks

7. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    With the right source material the pictures can be excellent.
    Good material from Freeview (e.g. Michael Palin's recent series) can be stunning.
    I have not yet tried it with a decent quality DVD player but I assume it would be better still.

I am a little disappointed with the blacks, which look fine in a well lit room but less good in a darkened room.

I have had some quality problems with mine (the set is going to be replaced in about 10 days) such as:
    1) Sound driven resonances in the cabinet, even at moderate volumes
    2) Overall sound quality is not good - you will need to budget for good external speakers in my opinion, maybe an amp too.
    3) The set often refuses to respond to volume commands from the remote
    4) The smart illumination on the set top controls seems to be un-reliable - I think it depends on the type of scart lead connected to Scart 2, for some bizzare reason

My set has s/w version 2.0, as opposed to the latest version which is v2.1, I believe.

Overall - I think the set is very good, with the above reservation on blacks.

HTH

8. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Tony,

Will all of the problems you list be 'cured' by the replacement or are some of those 'features' of the screen?

Has anyone else experienced the problems Tony has had.

9. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After reading various posts about the 37" 9986 and the various gripes I would really like to see one in action - does anyone know of a retailer in the Southend, Basildon or Chelmsford areas in Essex who has one on display?

10. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am pretty certain that the control problems (3 and 4) are software related.

The cabinet resonances could well be related to the somewhat damaged packaging when the set was delivered. If it was dropped or mis-handled then who knows what the consequences might be.

Overall sound quality might be partially impacted by
    the damage (if it occurred).

I will have to see what the replacement is like....

11. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I deliberated for a couple of weeks over whether to purchase the 37PF9986. A massive expenditure for me and I needed to be sure.

I read all the reviews and after posting a couple of questions, I sent a private email to one of the forum members. The gentleman took the time and trouble to offer me his advice in the form of a lengthy review which I hope he will post on the forum so that other people in my position can benefit from his knowledge.

Despite initial misgivings about the vulnerability of the LCD screen in terms of potential damage, I decided it might be possible to place the screen high on the wall so 'little hands' couldn't touch it.

Anyway, I persuaded a local retailer to unbox a 37" screen and let me play. The wife and I sat there for a while watching various scenes from Star Wars and Pirates of the Carribbean and we were very impressed!

Yesterday I collected the TV and after performing major surgery on a stud wall the TV was in place.

I've got to say - out of the box the picture through our four year old DVD blew us away!!!

No problems with sound - I don't know any different so I think the TV sounds reasonable. I am looking to purchase a home cinema kit when funds allow!

Blacks not really an issue for me because I JUST LOVE the TV - OK so the blacks could look a little blacker but when I watched Star Wars yesterday I was so engrossed the the whole 'experience' that I simply didn't notice any shortcommings.

Not sure what smart illumination does - but it looks quite pretty!

By the way - I think I might have a cable missing. I've got a small DVI - VGA converter but should I have received a cable to connect this to a computer?

Thanks to Alan D, Digitised and Tony B for all for your help.

Regards,

Peter.