1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on PC TV/Capture cards.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Vila, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Vila

Aug 5, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi, was looking for some advice.

I’m currently in the process of selling off most of my HC Setup; I start my first year at Uni in September and I don’t have the largest of rooms - I certainly cant take my 32" WS.

I plan to only take my new 19" TFT panel as a monitor for everything, i.e. no TV.(Yikes)

However I’m keen to get the best picture possible onto it and so was very interested reading about programmes such as descaler and such.

I would like to be able to watch TV on the screen but also input other sources such as svhs / xbox / laserdisc and capture footage.
    People here seem keen on using the PCTV Rave card, I was wondering what the opinion of the WinTV PVR was? It's more expensive but the prospect of tivo like features sounded interesting - can you achieve this using rave card? Also can you capture video that has been run through descaler?

I also have a small collection of laserdiscs that I am very keen to digitize to my hard drive (perhaps to burn to dvd if I get a burner later.) I would like to capture these in as good a quality as possible probably mpeg2. And it would be great if the video could be processed say by descaler.

Has anyone got any recommendations on the best way to go about this / if the above equipment is suitable. (I already have a firewire card, adobe premiere and a pretty fast pc - xp1800/radeon8500/80g raid discs.