Advice on PC spec music recording and office use

ab1385

Hi all -

Sorry, I know there's a lot of this sort of question, but I'm speccing a PC and wanted to check I hadn't put anything stupid in my specification. General use - mainly as an office PC, unlikely to be used for gaming (I have another PC for that, perhaps some very occasional Diablo/Starcraft/light use) but also a bit of amateurish photo editing and some (very amateurish) music recording. In terms of music - mainly recording directly from Piano (Kawai CA99), USB MIDI (same piano) and occasionally guitar (I'll get a proper audio interface for this separately).

It'll be connected to a 4k Monitor, probably Samsung Space 32" - the clever stand works well where it's going above the piano and folding down to be used in front of the piano..

No other high bandwidth uses.

Thanks

Capture.JPG

duncfunk

Music production isn't very intensive unless you're using a load of plugins for mixing so this pc would be fine. I'd strongly recommend going for a Ryzen build though (3600 and B550) for the upgrade potential should you pursue either of your hobbies more seriously.

ab1385

Thanks - the problem (as I understand it at least) is that Ryzen doesn't include integrated graphics, so it's a significant cost increase - or have I got that wrong?

I also find it difficult to compare Intel with AMD now - what would be the advantage of going with a Ryzen build in this sort of circumstance?

I don't really need dedicated gfx and they're rare as hen's teeth at the moment as well.

duncfunk

Thanks - the problem (as I understand it at least) is that Ryzen doesn't include integrated graphics, so it's a significant cost increase - or have I got that wrong?

I also find it difficult to compare Intel with AMD now - what would be the advantage of going with a Ryzen build in this sort of circumstance?

I don't really need dedicated gfx and they're rare as hen's teeth at the moment as well.
Ah yeah, my bad with the integrated graphics. I should have known this already as I was in the same situation when specing out new machines for college. Ryzen cpu's are better at productivity tasks and you would have upgrade paths to a 5000 series 16 core cpu if desired.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Have you thought about the Nvidia GT 710 , you could use one of these with a ryzen CPU
if all you need is a card that will give a display , then this could be an option :)

sykotik

Distinguished Member
NVMe are just an other form of SSD , these are designed to be fitted straight on the motherboard
in a M.2 slot - there are a lot faster then the standard 2.5 SSD's
most newer mobo have M.2 slot ( i say newer - say the past 3/4 years )

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom