1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on PC-PJ

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gadjet, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I am starting to look into the above. I have connected my pc to the pj with a RGB signal cable. The picture looks better than DVD by clarity. Quite suprised.
    My questions are: what do you do about sound? Do you have to just use the onboard DD soundcard and pc speakers. Cant think of a way to connect to the amplifier, so this will mean no more DTS?

Secondly, can you buy a PC dvd player that will play multi region?

PJ is HT 1000 and pc is 2.4 Athlon and 64 mg Ge Force 4 and sound card sounblaster. I know the picture can be even better with graphic card and faster proccesser but trying to get all info first

Again thanks for your help,
    Phill

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    All I would do is change your graphics card to a Radeon to get the best DVD playback. Get a SB 4.1 for full DD/DTS output via spdif if your current soundcard doesn't support it. Use the search and you'll see threads covering both topics.

I'm using an old Radeon VE with DVI out to my HT1000, and with PowerDVD XP, the image is incredibly detailed and noise free. You don't need a fast processor for DVD playback, and I'm using a Duron 950 with no problems.

The Radeon 9600 or better are the ones to have now apparently, as they have better mpg deblocking and noise removal so give a smoother image with little or no background noise.

I was using WinDVD, but that tended to enhance the noise and show up dark areas with blocking, but I think the sound is slightly better. I sometimes use Zoomplayer with PowerDVD video filter and WinDVD4 audio filter for the best of both worlds. It also has an excellent front end which will allow you to play trailers, demos etc before the film starts, and is very flexible.

HTH

Gary.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Gadget,

Surf the hcpc forum for a while - lots of info there.

For now, the following may help......

If you can set your soundcard to pass SPDIF (check the soundcard software in Control Panel - you should find the option there) then you can use the same interconnect you'd use with a dvd player and amp to pass a digital signal from your pc to your amp. Your Motherboard may be capable of passing SPDIF - you could check the manual and set it to pass SPDIF in the bios setup screen. If you're using a soundblaster card, you'd need an adaptor which has a 3.5mm plug on one end and an RCA socket on the other - the adaptor is plugged into the appropriate socket on the soundcard, and the interconnect is plugged into the adaptor.

In the dvd playing software, you need to set the audio option to output SPDIF also.

Now you should be getting a digital signal passed from your pc to your amp/receiver - DD and DTS should now be fine.

For DVD playback you don't need a particular muscular processor - anything from a P3 5-700 or a Duron would do fine - if you enable Hardware acceleration in the dvd playing software, the processor wouldn't be under much load in any event.

Radeon cards are pretty much the de facto standard for HCPC users - the 9000 has no fan (no noise !), is fairly inexpensive, and performs fine for hcpc. If the GEforce is doing its thing, I wouldn't be too fussed about it, tbh.

DVD drives for pcs are usually region locked and need to have their firmware updated ( "flashed" ) with a hack to make them region free. This procedure is beyond explaining in detail here - do some searching on the hcpc side, and a little googling with the name and model of the dvd drive in your machine and you'll find the info you need. If you're uncomfortable with doing this yourself you could try a cry for someone local to you on the hcpc side to assist,
    I think Overclockers also sell dvd drives already region free.

Have fun,

Sean G.

4. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers for your answers and help. I have been to your web page Gary, you,ve done a tidy job. I went to see what set up you have got to give me an idea what I should buy

Theritz great help, all that I,m not sure of now is changing the bios and what cable to buy.

I have put a thread on the section for HCPC for all the answers, I will go through with this now after seeing the increase of quality in picture. A bit ****** off with having spent 750 on Pioneer 747, but you forever learn,

Take care,
    Phill

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Phil,

You just use the same coax cable as you'd use to connect the digital out of your regular dvd player to the digital-in on your amp/receiver. You only need to access the bios screen on your pc if you need to activate and use the SPDIF-out on the motherboard - if you're going to use digital-out from the soundcard, then you don't need to play with the bios at all.

All the best,

Sean G.